This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I am extremely lucky to have a grandmother who is a huge part of my life.  She has always lived on the same street as me, babysat me when I was younger, and has been a constant in my life.  When anyone asks me who my best friends are, I always include my grandma in my list; I have claimed that she is my spirit animal.  If you are tight with your grandmother as well, hopefully you can relate to some of these.

We spend most of our time with each other

If I tried to calculate who I spend most of my time with, it would easily be my grandma.  Before I could drive myself, she would pick me up from school every day; she would arrive in the line an hour before school let out just so she could be in the front.  I danced at a studio four to five times a week, and she was my ride every time.  I wish I could go back in time and remind myself to treasure all those seemingly mundane trips.  I believe that some of the best memories you make with your friends are ones of the everyday.  I miss my Grandma Taxi, but now it’s my turn to take her places.  I hope my driving doesn’t scare you too much, Grandma!

We have similar interests

Some of my favorite things include Harry Potter, Twilight, traveling, and Broadway musicals.  Unsurprisingly, my grandma’s list is exactly like mine.  We are both on Team Edward and have a strange obsession with Phantom of the Opera.  I cringe as I remember the second grade talent show where I sang a song from Phantom in a white puffy dress even though I definitely cannot sing.  As best friends often do, we fall in love with things the other is into.  I took my grandma to a Frankie Valli concert (he’s a singer from the 60s), and I have made my grandma watch too many Hannah Montana episodes for her own good.  Maybe it is a bit strange to have the same interests as someone two generations older than you, but what can I say, I’m an old soul.

We can finish each other’s sentences

You know that awesome, but somewhat creepy, feeling when you accurately guess what someone is going to say?  I experience that with my grandma all the time.  I know whenever she answers my Facetime call she’s going to say “Hang on, I’m going to go out to the porch”.  I know that she will quickly send her food back at a restaurant if it’s not right, and she will always forget to end the call once we are through.  But if she were writing in this article, she would say that I always start the Facetime call in a funny unflattering angle, never complain about my food when it is wrong, and will always end our calls telling her “I wish you were here”.  I love that we are so in sync; I am pretty sure we are the coolest pair anyone has ever seen, but I’m not biased or anything.

We worry about each other

A few years ago, my grandmother had to undergo some difficult surgeries.  She was so brave and made it through, but I remember the days when she had her operations.  I was in school and never texted during class, but those days I had my phone glued to my side waiting for updates from my family.  My mind went through all the “what ifs”.  What if something goes wrong?  What if they make a mistake?  What if I never get to see her again?  Whenever a friend goes through a rough time, we cherish the moments we have with them because we have had to think about life without them.  And I know my grandma worries about me more than she should.  I call her late at night when I am walking home and she never complains, even if it’s at one in the morning.  Besties want what’s best for each other, and I want nothing more for my grandma to be happy, and I know she feels the same for me.

I once wrote my grandma a poem in elementary school that read “You may not be the prettiest flower, but you are the nicest one”.  For someone reason she still loves me, even after I insulted her without knowing it.  Best friends are some of the most important people in your lives; they have your back and care about you.  Family is also amazing; they love you and support you.  I am so lucky to have my grandma be the perfect mix of both. She is my rock, my inspiration, and most importantly, my friend.  So call your grandmothers and plan a day with them.  They are pretty awesome.

Photo courtesy of Courtney Weis.

Courtney is a freshman majoring in History with a minor in Dance. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus UFL and she's so excited to have this opportunity! Courtney enjoys reading Jane Austen classics, traveling to new places all over the globe, and eating maybe too much Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She's a sister of Delta Nu Zeta, a service sorority on campus, and loves being able to help the community and grow as a proud member of the Gator Nation!
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.