This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The transition to college is full of unanswered questions and overwhelming emotions. Adjusting to a new life away from home is one of the hardest things a young person must do. According to a survey conducted by College Data, students agreed that the transition to college was eased by staying active and involved over the summer. Starting school at UF during Summer B was the best decision I could have made, and it did just that. I had to step outside of my comfort zone to meet new people and try new things because I did not know anybody. Over the six weeks, I was able to acclimate to a new environment and feel comfortable before the chaos of the fall semester. Here are seven reasons why you should check Summer B on your UF application:

1. Get a kickstart to college

Beginning UF before most of your peers puts you at an advantage. You have six weeks to understand how to navigate such a large campus, meet new people, adjust to college-level academics and learn how to live independently. What more could you ask for?

2. Summer is a requirement

You must take nine credit hours during the summer before you graduate, so why not start early? The summer after high school graduation is the perfect time to continue your studies. It will help you keep your study skills and habits fresh.

3. Relaxed schedule

Typically, the university recommends freshmen take only six credit hours during their first Summer B session; this is about two to three classes. This low course load gives you plenty of flexibility to visit friends and family, get involved on campus and start enjoying Gainesville. The low course load also gives you more time to focus on a more challenging course. 

4. Smaller class sizes

Entering a class of a few hundred students can be shocking for anyone, but especially a college freshman. During the summer, my largest class had 16 students. It felt like a high school sized class. This allowed me to get to know my professor, and the professor was able to know all his students by name. It made me feel more comfortable in class when I could form friendships with my peers, and I wasn’t just a number in a class. 

5. Surrounded by lots of freshmen

Summer B is full of freshmen. There are plenty of opportunities to meet new people, and they will most likely be your age.

6. Graduate early or get ahead

Taking courses over the summer gets you closer to finishing your educational career at the University of Florida. Also, taking courses during the summer can help you lighten your course-load during the fall and spring semesters when life gets busier. 

7. Gives you something to do

While most people wouldn’t prefer spending six weeks of the summer studying, most of my friends who were at home were really bored. Even though it is hard to accept, summer can get boring when you do not have a routine. Being away during Summer B meant I had a full schedule of classes, activities and other events.

Ultimately, regardless of when you begin college, it can be hard. It can be a struggle to be alone in a new place where you know few people. Summer B gave me the opportunity to adjust to a big life change. Clicking the Summer B option on your UF application will give you the earliest chance to fall in love with UF.

Hey everyone! I am Neenah Brown, a second-year English major at the University of Florida. I am so excited to be able to pursue my passion for journalism on the Her Campus UFL team! In my free time, I like to work out, play tennis, shop, spend time with friends, go to the beach and eat at Chick-Fil-A. My writing is usually about shopping and clothing trends and college life as a Gator. After graduation, I plan on attending law school.