Why Cyber Monday Will Always Be Better than Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

‘Tis the season, everyone! No, I’m not talking about Christmas. I’m not necessarily talking about Thanksgiving, either. Nope. ‘Tis the season for sweet deals all around! That’s right, Black Friday and Cyber Monday are just around the corner, and I can’t wait. If you swear by retail therapy like I do, you know just as well as I do that shopping definitely deserves its own holiday. Before you say anything, I know that deals are supposedly way better as it gets closer to the holidays, but it still doesn’t take away from the excitement of 50% off that sweet pair of boots you’ve been eyeing all year. Regardless, here’s the real question: which one is “better” anyway? To be completely honest, between Cyber Monday and Black Friday, Cyber Monday will always reign supreme. Here’s a few reasons why:

Black Friday is absolute madness.

I mean it. Absolute. Chaos. Deals attract the thrifty, and when you put two hundred people in a department store with only ten Keurigs, problems will evidently arise. Have you ever dropped by your neighborhood Target any other time of the year and seen two women battling it out over a waffle iron? Yeah, me neither.

The lines.

Lots of things in life go by the motto, “first come, first serve” – restaurants during brunch, employment and above all, Black Friday. I’ll never forget my first time. No one ever does. I’ll also never forget how long I sat huddled outside of a Best Buy with my cousin because “first come, first serve.” You might ask yourself, is a laptop really worth it? If you were to ask the people in line with me that night, the answer would have been a resounding “yes.” Yet another reason to love Cyber Monday: you get the same laptop at the same discount except you’re buying it online, and you’ve wisely determined that not being trampled to death largely outweighs the inconvenience of waiting 3-7 business days.

Cyber Monday = the most comfortable shopping experience of your life.

It’s apparently not socially acceptable to go out in public braless in a dinosaur sweatshirt and pajama pants. People will judge you a little. But, that’s where Cyber Monday is your friend. KateSpade.com will not stare at you as you browse with a bagel in one hand and a cup of coffee in your lap. Your good friend Designer Shoe Warehouse definitely won’t mind that you’re looking for the perfect pair of date night pumps while wearing a dinosaur onesie.

It’s so much easier to find exactly what you want.

The great thing about Cyber Monday is that internet shopping is always easy: find what you want, select size and color, order and enjoy. A much simpler process, compared to the Spartan warzone that we call Black Friday. I don’t know about you, but Black Friday always plays out the same way for me every year. Girl meets shoes. Girl vows to purchase shoes on a fateful Friday. Girl walks into store and literally flails around looking for said shoes in her size. More often than not, girl leaves store without shoes.

At the end of the day though, the choice is entirely yours. I know I just spent an entire article belittling Black Friday, but I assure you: I still plan to be there, in line at all the stores. I might prefer the convenience of Cyber Monday, but the days following Thanksgiving just aren’t the same without the panic that Black Friday brings. Happy Thanksgiving, and happy shopping!

Photo Source: www.sacbee.com

Cindy is a senior at the University of Florida. She's hoping to make this year a good one. She loves sriracha and hates talking about herself in third person. As a member of the Her Campus team, she enjoys writing about everything from body positivity to failed cooking endeavors. She has a personal blog that she wants to try and update more frequently and hasn't been very good about, but if you're curious, you can feel free to check it out at thecindycopies.blogspot.com Ask her for her opinion because she's got lots of them, or if that isn't your thing, you read about them every week. HCXO!