samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why ‘Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard’ Will Be Your New Favorite Podcast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Did you know Mila Kunis has never seen an episode of That 70s Show?

Or that Conan O’Brian went to Harvard?

Have you heard Seth Meyers talk about the Saturday Night Live after-parties that ran until 5 a.m.?

It’s stories like these that got me hooked on Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard – and why it’s going to be your new favorite podcast. 

The podcast explores what it means to be a human in this big crazy world by interviewing a different celebrity each episode.

Dax Shepard is an actor, writer and comedian best known for Employee of the Month, Zathura: A Space Adventure and Parenthood. If you don’t know him from any of that, you probably know him from those stupid-cute Samsung commercials he was in with his wife and actress Kristen Bell.

The first-ever iHeartRadio Podcast Awards premiered on January 18, and Armchair Expert won the award for best breakout podcast.

The award was rightfully earned.

The show’s shining quality is that it allows the guests to be vulnerable. They dig deep and talk about their own life experiences which shaped them into the people they are today. It makes you realize that big-named celebrities are real people.

I’m a huge comedy nerd. I love it in all forms – sketch, stand-up, improv, movies, series. I love anything that will make me laugh. Since Shepard’s background is in comedy, he’s brought on some of my favorite people in the comedy world such as Adam Scott, Nick Kroll, Mike Schur, Jason Mantzoukas and Seth Meyers. I love hearing stories about their career journey to where they are today.

The presentation is just as promising as the content. Shepard and producer Monica Padman’s input makes the show even more authentic. You will fall in love Monica and her fact check at the end of each episode, in which she holds the show accountable for everything it says.

I walk away from the podcast feeling like I’m best friends with some of my favorite celebrities. What more could you ask for?

Some of my favorite episodes to check out are:

• Kristen Bell
  • Jimmy Kimmel
  • Mila Kunis
  • David Harbour
  • Dax’s Mom
  • Nick Kroll
  • Mike Schur
  • Sarah Silverman
  • Amy Schumer

You can listen to Armchair Expert on Apple Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher or Google Play.

Karina Elwood is a second-year journalism major at the University of Florida with a passion for storytelling and graphic design. She's a fan of big cities, good coffee, and funny comedians. Other hobbies include crafting, thrift shopping and listening to podcasts.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.