Wednesday Wisdom: A Guide to Growing Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As we’re nearing the end of the semester, I’m beyond surprised at how quickly another year has come to a close. I remember my parents telling me when I started college how fast the time would pass in these next few years. And somehow my time at UF is almost halfway complete. There are so many things left on my to-do list, and I’m in no rush for my time to come to an end.

But what I’ve noticed about so many people is that they live life in such a hurry. No, I’m not talking being busy in everyday life. I’m talking about people who are always eager to start the next chapter of their lives before the other one is complete. All through high school, it seemed as though all of my peers wanted to get out of our hometown and graduate as fast as possible. In college, so many people are looking to quickly move into the workforce with a steady job, eager to expedite their time. Then the people with jobs want to hurry and get married and start having kids.

The most important thing I can stress is to not make choices based on preconceived notions on what you should be doing. Make the decisions that are right for you. Slow down, and enjoy the time that you have in each part of your life. Sometimes, people are so caught up in the future that they forget there’s still the present to enjoy.

With each passing year, it seems as though showing excitement is becoming outdated — as  though a nonchalant approach to life is what’s “in.” I highly encourage you to live life with genuine enthusiasm — something that so many seem to lose in their post-adolescence. Roald Dahl said, “Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” And as we get older, it seems like a lot of people are disenchanted with things they were once amazed by. There seems to be few and far between that find the same joy in the holiday season or in simple things like building a sandcastle. And I think that this might be the time we need these things the most. The capability to find excitement in small things is so vital during college.

With that, I wish that each of you take time to enjoy the moment. Don’t let life pass without pausing to take it all in.