‘Wake Up’ and Listen to Jagged Little Pill’s Inspiring Message

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As society progresses and adapts to fit different cultural viewpoints, theatre is prone to keep up its changes.

As different issues rise to the surface, Broadway attacks modern conflicts to send a message to the audience. 

If you know me, then you know there’s nothing I love more than seeing a Broadway show.

It’s definitely my favorite form of entertainment. After seeing a show, I am in pure awe of the jaw-dropping talent.

The combination of acting, singing and dancing makes me feel like a part of the show. 

Over the years, I have seen a wide variety of Broadway movie remakes, original scores, comedies and romance stories.

However, after seeing Jagged Little Pill in December 2019, I can safely say I have never seen anything quite like it. 

The inspiration behind the story

Jagged Little Pill is an original script However, it’s inspired by Alanis Morissette’s hit album, also entitled Jagged Little Pill

In the early ’90s, Morissette’s music was known for breaking boundaries and challenging stereotypes.

According to the Atlantic, the last words Morissette sang on her song, “Wake Up,” have turned into the main message of Jagged Little Pill on Broadway. 

The revolutionary plot

Jagged Little Pill used the messages from each song in Morissette’s album to formulate a revolutionary plot about loving, learning and life. 

It depicts the picture-perfect Healy family consisting of a wife, husband, daughter and son.

On the outside, the Healy family seems to have everything figured out. However, the Healys are far from perfect. 

Mary Jane and Steve face a loveless marriage, while their adopted daughter Frankie struggles with her identity and their son Nick feels the pressure to be the perfect child. 

The plot circulates around a rape case taking place in Frankie and Nick’s high school.

As all of these problems are occurring, Mary Jane hides away her secret addiction to pills while acting as if her life is flawless.

After seeing this show, I was truly astounded by the plot and the way the cast portrayed the story.  

The messages behind the show

Similarly to Morissette’s album, Jagged Little Pill breaks boundaries by discussing sensitive and controversial issues that exist in today’s society in order to touch the audience.

Aside from dealing with serious issues, Jagged Little Pill’s overall message shows how things are not always the way they appear, and everyone has a different story. 

The main message from the song, “Wake Up,” discusses how people need to sometimes take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

The end of the show closes with the song “You Learn,” which discusses how people make mistakes; Life is a learning process. 

Aside from the touching messages, Jagged Little Pill incorporates countless humorous and relatable lines.

My reaction

Jagged Little Pill is a jukebox musical that also includes several original songs.

Anyone in the audience is likely to relate to or has experienced several of the issues expressed in the show.

At one point, I had to hold back tears. At other points, I could not stop myself from laughing. While listening to the soundtrack, I feel completely moved and inspired. 

Jagged Little Pill is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before, and I encourage everyone to start listening to the powerful messages displayed in this show. 

Jolie Freedman is a Sophomore at the University of Florida and is from Melville, New York. Jolie is working towards achieving a Bachelor of Arts in journalism with an outside concentration in marketing. Jolie has a passion for storytelling and digital media, and she places a heavy emphasis on the importance of social media. Jolie is also a campus trendsetter for Her Campus Media and an ambassador for the College of Journalism and Communications. Aside from her journalistic involvement, Jolie enjoys skiing and art. Jolie's inspiration to join the Her Campus community stems from her involvement as the Print Manager and Staff Writer/Editor for her high school's newspaper.