Style > Fashion

Vintage Shopping Takes Over Gainesville 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Vintage shopping takes over Gainesville through the immersion of local markets, thrift shops and swap events.

I have never been the most fashionable or ahead of the trends, but once vintage shopping became popular, I knew this was my time to shine. 

Gainesville has grown to be quite popular among vintage markets such as The Florida Vintage Market, a traveling community pop-up market. The organization partners with local vendors, artisans and food vendors to create a diverse curation of vintage clothing, goods and accessories. The Florida Vintage Market will back to Gainesville on March 26 at Midpoint Eatery. For more information, you can follow its Instagram account @thefloridavintagemarket

“I generally like all the markets in Gainesville … because I try to not give into the overconsumption that is capitalism,” said sophomore statistics major, Sofia Gurruchaga.

Not only are you supporting local businesses, but you are also reducing your carbon footprint. According to a blog post by the University of Illinois, “Fast fashion is the second dirtiest industry, only coming in behind the oil industry in terms of pollution. They use harsh chemicals and pollutants to produce and dye clothes, and many textile producers are known for dumping those chemicals back into the local water supply without treating the runoff first.”

Gurruchaga continues by saying, “Buying clothes and things secondhand also helps me believe that I am reducing my carbon footprint and bettering the world.”

Local business Flashbacks Recycled Fashion , which opened 36 years ago, started its own vintage market to not only promote its business, but to connect the community. It not only provides women’s and men’s clothing but includes curated items that have been professionally dated so customers can trust that the products they are purchasing are authentic pieces of history. If you are interested in coming to its next market it is hosting, its next Flashbacks Pop-Up Market is on March 18, from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Flashbacks Market is located on 220 NW 8th Ave, Gainesville Florida.

One should note that within all of these local markets and storefronts, University of Florida patrons can always expect plenty of thrifted gator shirts, jackets and accessories. 

One last way that community members have incorporated vintage shopping is through Thrift Swaps. Local organizations and businesses, such as Opus Coffee and UF Thrift Club, host events where they encourage community members to bring their used and forgotten clothing and contribute to the swap. The more pieces that you contribute the more pieces you can take home. 

Although I won’t be starting any new trends anytime soon, I can find comfort in knowing there is a community within Gainesville that finds outdated clothing cool and stylish. Vintage clothing not only allows you to support local businesses and help the environment, but it’s a way that you can find your own style when the latest trends don’t reflect who you are as a person. 

Hello I am Emma! I am a first-year journalism student at the University of Florida. I love sports, reading and watching Gilmore Girls.