Ur Period, Their Project: U By Kotex’s Period Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

“It’s time to normalize periods and put an end to the stigma,” the U By Kotex website reads at the top of its “Period Project” page.

U By Kotex started this campaign to bring attention and light to the rather taboo topic of periods. Starting from the inspirational Tumblr post by Sarah M., she came together with Kotex to create this one-of-a-kind (and first-of its-kind) shop to bring attention to the topic of periods and to stop shaming girls for this natural process.

“Guess what? I’m calling for a period shop!” read Sarah’s Tumblr post.

“I want a space where we can feel comfortable and respected during an otherwise shitty time of month. My dream period shop has: designer pads/tampons, ice cream, heating pads, phone charging station, mani-pedis, live DJ, (obvi) sweat pants. How amazing would this be? Every woman, cis or trans will be welcome to bask in this glory! Think about this ladies! Someone make this happen!”

And so became the Period Shop, hosted by U By Kotex on Fifth Avenue in New York City. The shop did, in fact, offer: ice cream, music, nail art, tampons and pads. The shop also included a lot of other cool things, such as a chocolate wall, Truth Booth, massages and cupcakes.

The truth booth is one part of the project that really showcased the purpose behind the shop: starting the period conversation. The shop was created to change the way periods are talked about, rather than the negative, gross stigma currently around periods. The goal of the project and the shop is to make it a more positive topic that people aren’t scared to talk about. The Truth Booth is a booth at the shop where women could record themselves talking freely about periods and how they think we could change society’s view.

Though the store was only a pop-up shop that is now closed, the project lives on in a variety of ways. All women throughout the nation (and even the world) can take part in the project by using the hashtag #periodprojects on Instagram, or partaking in the period drive. The period drive was inspired by Holly S., and its purpose is to help homeless women who don’t have access to period products.

Speaking of donating to the homeless, proceeds from the pop-up shop went to Susan’s Place, a New York City-based transitional shelter.

This project is so cool and forward thinking, and according to Kotex, is just getting started. There’s way more to come on the period front. Find out and learn more about it at U by Kotex’s website.

Photo credit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59ZvP_te5PI

Maxine Grossman is a second-year Public Relations major with a concentration in business at the University of Florida and is so excited for the opportunity to do what she does best for Her Campus UFL: write about fashion. When Maxine is not staring at Pinterest fashion boards or wandering around shopping, she can be caught eating sushi, devouring cups of coffee and tea, or munching on some delicious macarons. Besides writing for Her Campus UFL, Maxine is also an active member of UF’s Panhellenic life and enjoys spending time with friends, traveling, and painting.