Theatre Strike Force President Adriana Robles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Adriana RoblesAge: 21Year: seniorMajor(s): telecommunications and theatreHometown: Ocala, FL

Her Campus: What is your position on campus?Adriana Robles: “I’m the president of Theatre Strike Force, UF’s premier improv and sketch comedy troupe.”

HC: How did you get involved with Theatre Strike Force?AR: “There isn’t a big story behind my involvement. I heard about the club and I immediately wanted to do it! TSF has free improv classes every Monday, so on the first day of college in Fall 2011, I went to a meeting and fell in love! I remember wearing a 30 Rock shirt, and when I got a lot of compliments for it, I knew I had found my people.”

HC: What is your favorite part of being involved with TSF?AR: “My favorite part is every time a new person gets involved in the club! I co-teach one of our free improv classes on Mondays and I love meeting new people and helping people learn more about the wonderful world of improv and sketch. It’s so crazy when I see someone at the end of the semester on stage making people laugh, and I remember back to the first day when they were incredibly nervous to perform in front of people! It’s an awesome thing to be a part of.”

HC: And the biggest challenge?AR: “I think my biggest challenge has always been balancing. When it comes to being a leader on campus, the most important thing I’ve learned from experience is being able to say no when you have too many things going on. If you explain your situation to people, they will understand.”

HC: What other things are you involved in on campus?AR: “I am an editor for Chompics, a branch of the National Broadcasting Society. We’re currently in production of an original series called ‘Pressed,’ and the first episode is already up. If you are interested in entertainment news, writing creatively, podcasting or almost anything media-related, this is the club to be in.”

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?AR: “I see myself living in New York City! I’ll be wearing all black, red lipstick and heels as I go to art galleries and the theatre like a true city lady. I’ve wanted to live there for as long as I remember. It’s the perfect setting for the rom-com that will be my adult life.” 

HC: What is your dream job?AR: “I want to be a comedy writer for television and film. I want to write stories with strong female leads kicking a** and taking names.”

HC: What are your hobbies?AR: “I love doing yoga. I watch reality television religiously, and have an unhealthy obsession with Bravo. I am up to date on all of their shows without fail. Last year I made a goal to start actually making the things that I put on my Pinterest boards, so when I have spare time on the weekends, I love crafting decor for my apartment and other fun projects. I just made a blanket scarf; who could say no to an article of clothing that is also a blanket? Also, there is almost nothing I love more than cooking for friends.”

HC: Who is your role model?AR: “My role model is my mom. She has always encouraged me to follow my dreams. She’s back in school right now getting her masters degree and continues to prove to me every day that as long as you put work into what you do, you’ll be successful.”

HC: What advice would you give to new students?AR: “Get involved! Why not try something new that you’ve never done before? You might love it. Also (warning: plug for my club), if doing improv or writing sketch comedy is something that you’re even remotely interested in, then ‘Like’ Theatre Strike Force on Facebook for more information about us. Regardless, find an organization on campus and start meeting friends. Also, if you are overwhelmed, remember that people are there for you. Sometimes things add up and we don’t know how to handle it on our own. If you are having trouble adjusting to college, you aren’t alone, and it is totally normal. The UF Counseling and Wellness Center is an amazing resource on campus to be aware of.”

HC: What is your favorite memory at UF so far?AR: “Last semester, I was able to co-direct a sketch show (TSF’s Fall Show), and it was my favorite experience because I shared it with my best friends. My sketch team and I worked very hard to write a show that we loved. I had a lot of friends come to the show who don’t often get to see my comedy things, so it was a really special moment. I think something that makes comedy writing special is that you get an attachment to your sketches, and when something you wrote get laughs in a show it’s like people are walking up to you and personally saying, ‘Hey, I like what you did there.’ It’s an amazing feeling. 10/10 would have that feeling again.”

The Theatre Strike Force’s next show is at the Constans Theatre on April 8.