mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

That’s A Wrap: Special Olympics Funding Controversy, NY County Declares Measles Emergency & More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Monday, March 25:

• President Trump signed a proclamation recognizing Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights.
  • Jeremy Richman, the father of 6-year-old Avielle Richman who was killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was found dead in his apartment after an apparent suicide.

Tuesday, March 26:

• Chicago prosecutors in the Jussie Smollett case decide to drop the charges against the actor so they could focus on violent crime and gun violence.
  • Seven people were killed at a hospital during an airstrike in Yemen.
  • Vice President Mike Pence called for a landing of astronauts on the moon within five years, reports the Associated Press.
  • Education Secretary Betsy DeVos was questioned by a congressional subcommittee to defend at least $7 billion in proposed cuts to education programs, including eliminating all $18 million in federal funding for the Special Olympics.

Wednesday, March 27:

• Five cases of cholera have been confirmed in the city of Beira in Mozambique. These cases come after a cyclone hit the city on March 14.
  • Rockland County in New York has declared a state of emergency after an outbreak of measles, reports the BBC. Unvaccinated children have been barred from public spaces after 153 confirmed cases of the disease.

Thursday, March 28:

• The Venezuelan government has barred opposition leader Juan Guaido from holding public office for 15 years.
  • A large truck crashed into a crowd on a dark highway in western Guatemala, killing 18 people.
  • A car bombing in Somalia’s capital has left 16 people dead. The extremist group al-Shabab has taken responsibility for the attack.
  • The Supreme Court declines to stop the Trump administration from enforcing its ban on bump stock devices. These devices allow semi-automatic weapons to fire like machine guns.
  • The first Democratic debate of the 2020 presidential primary is revealed to be in Miami on June 26 and 27, reports NBC.

Friday, March 29:

• Confirmed cholera cases in the city of Beira in Mozambique have jumped to 139, according to PBS.
  • Pope Francis issued new sex abuse legislation for Vatican personnel and diplomats that requires the immediate reporting of abuse allegations to Vatican prosecutors. This is the first time the Vatican has put into law requirements for Catholic officials to reports allegations of sexual assault to police or face fines or possible jail time.
  • After public outrage towards Education Secretary Betsy DeVos proposed cut to Special Olympics funding, President Trump announced that the cut in funding has been withdrawn, according to NBC.

Saturday, March 30:

• The United States is cutting off aid to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, in light of the migrant caravan traveling across central America towards the U.S.
  • A federal judge overruled President Trump’s reversal of bans on offshore drilling in parts of the Arctic Ocean. The ruling restored the Obama-era restrictions.

Sunday, March 31:

• Former Vice President Joe Biden denied an allegation that he inappropriately kissed a Nevada candidate for stat office in 2014. He said, “not once — never — did I believe I acted inappropriately,” according to CNN.
  • Two pilots died in a Marine helicopter crash during a training mission in southwestern Arizona.

Stay tuned next Monday for our next edition of That’s A Wrap! In the meantime, connect with Her Campus UFL on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

Cassidy Hopson is a junior at the University of Florida majoring in journalism. Follow her on Twitter @CassidyHopson.
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.