The Swift Guide to Love & Life: 3 Important Lessons from Taylor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Taylor Swift has made a lot more than sparks fly in the media this semester. Rumors have spread like wildfire about Taylor and One Direction’s Harry Styles. The couple may or may not be an official couple, but the pictures and videos rarely lie. Unless Taylor grew a third arm, I think it’s safe to say that she and Mr. Styles were holding hands!

I’m not going to lie… I’m not a Taylor Swift fan. At all. In fact, I find myself going on rants about her for at least 30 minutes a day. Many people (myself included) seem to think she just writes songs about her failed relationships. However, no matter how much we hate to admit it, there are really great takeaways from her lyrics. I took the time to listen to songs from Taylor’s older albums that made her into the superstar she is today and composed a list of three lessons I think are extremely relevant to young love and the collegiette lifestyle. Enjoy!

1. Let go of the past: “Mine” and “Fifteen” basically tell us that living in the past is no way to live in the present. This outlook on life will only hinder you from being successful in love, in your career, and in your life. Taylor talks about love’s side of things when she sings about letting go of past experiences when pursuing a new relationship. Although “Fifteen” is also about a relationship, this song focuses on how wishing you could turn back time and living life with regrets is pointless. Use your failures and misjudgments to avoid making similar mistakes in the future.

2. Speak your mind, and fight for what you want: “Hey Stephen” and “Change” may not be Taylor’s most recent hits, but they do give us an important message. She emphasizes the importance of speaking up for yourself and telling the person you care about how you really feel in “Hey Stephen.” If you don’t put yourself out there, nothing will be accomplished. Plus, confidence is every man’s dream! On the other hand, “Change” takes a more general approach. In this song, Taylor sings about never giving up and always fighting to achieve your goals.

3. Everything happens for a reason: “Never Grow Up” and “Forever & Always” are perfect examples of why we should learn to appreciate the little things in life and believe everything happens for a reason. As collegiette students at the University of Florida, we’re getting our first taste of the real world. “Never Grow Up” talks about leaving your childhood home and the fear it can bring. Taylor is right, it can be scary. Therefore, you should appreciate the little moments with your family when you’re home for the holidays because you won’t be there forever. Meanwhile, “Forever & Always” is about a significant other losing interest in a relationship. Breakups may suck, but don’t let that person or relationship define who you are. Use the breakup as a time to focus on yourself and your personal goals.

Some fans are not pleased at all with Taylor’s recent encounters, and some have taken their outrage to Twitter saying that she is just looking for inspiration for a new song. But if you read her lyrics a little bit more, you’ll be surprised to find that Taylor’s songs are more than just the makeups and breakups she is so famous for. There are deeper meanings and messages about not only love, but also growing up and living life. Happy Listening!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.