Survival Guide to Backpacking Alone in Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I had the joy and the privilege of studying abroad for 6 months in Paris. Thankfully, my university believed that the abundance of hard work should be met with an equal abundance of rest and relaxation. In France, that meant a month long spring break, allowing me to explore Europe extensively. Having gone abroad alone, I quickly discovered the most valuable tips to get the most from my experience and come home in one piece. Here is my guide to survive backpacking alone.

1. Europe is less expensive than you’d think.

Sure, skiing at that luxurious resort that clings to the Austrian mountainside in the quaint village of Salzburg sounds amazing, but we can’t all be Mary Poppins, pulling out stacks of hundreds from our magical purse for a 3-day weekend. Luckily, intercontinental travel is cheap and easy to navigate. My train ticket from Paris to Prague was 15 euros. That amount doesn’t even cover the cost of two burrito bowls with extra guac at Chipotle. Also, keep in mind that student rates are the golden ticket. Reduced prices are offered almost everywhere, but most of the time, it will not be listed. If you ask and pull out a student ID, a new, lower price may magically ring up at the ticket counter.  

2. Choose your travel buddy wisely.  

Choosing the right travel buddy can make or break a trip if you let it. There is not one single way to best experience a city. Everyone has their own opinions, and it’s up to you to decide what you want to get out of your trip. Maybe you’re traveling with someone who’d rather spend the next three hours waiting in line at the Catacombs rather than the Mona Lisa, which you’ve been hoping to see for years. Splitting up and meeting back later can provide some needed space. I have friends who I absolutely adore, but ask me to travel more than a week with them, and that’s where I draw the line. When choosing a travel buddy, think about who you can happily spend weeks straight with.

3. Pack light.

Unless you’re planning for a zombie apocalypse, you don’t need to pack supplies for the next month. I tend to wear the same 5 items of clothing every day out of a closet of over 100. Resist the urge to take your whole closet with you.My backpack held two pairs of pants, a couple of shirts, a nice dress for going out, the shoes on my feet and an extra tote for the souvenirs I was bound to purchase.

4. Don’t be afraid of youth hostels, but be cautious when booking.

I’d never realized how much of a stigma existed against youth hostels. Some hostels will look like the Palace of Versailles online, only to be discovered that they’re more like the inside of a roach-infested trailer home when you show up at the doorstep. Take my experience in Amsterdam as a warning. I stayed in a “cozy” youth hostel, which turned out to really be a 24-hour bar with rooms upstairs equipped with 18 bunks each. Sites like Hostels.com and Hostelworld.com are a fantastic way to find hostels where safety, location and price won’t be a compromise.

And be friendly! I found midway through my trip that making the extra effort to talk to people in the common room or during breakfast was the way to get to know other travelers. Although I was only in each city for about 4 days each,  I did meet amazing people from all over the world.  We explored the city together, each bringing something unique to the group that allowed us to know the city more intimately.

5. Put your phone away.  

Don’t mark yourself with the tourist target by staring at the blue dot on google maps as you walk down the street. If you end up lost, go into the nearest store for directions!

So before you plan your big backpacking adventure, be sure to keep these tips in mind.

Image Credit: themanguide.com

Eva is a senior in advertising with a minor in French. She has been part of the HerCampus UFL's PR team for two semesters, but will be joining the editorial team this fall. Eva just returned from a 6-month study abroad trip in Paris, France. She enjoys backpacking across Europe and South America, listening to 70s rock/soul music, and binge watching Quentin Tarantino movies. She is an avid photographer, artist and coffee lover. Like many, she hopes to move to New York City after graduation.