styLISAtion: Fishtail Braid Breakdown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The fishtail braid: it’s a hairstyle that everyone has seen, but only a few people actually know how to do it (and an even smaller amount know how to do it on themselves). Well, luckily for you, I’ll be taking you step by step to show you how to rock this look on any given day.

Step 1: Bring all of your hair to the side of your head that you prefer. Separate your hair into two equal sections. We will call these sections “Section A” and “Section B”.

Step 2: Pull a strand from the outside of section A, and gather it in section B. Then, pull a strand from the outside of section B, and gather it into section A. You can make the strands as thick or as thin as you’d like. While thin strands are more complex, they make the braid look neater and more intricate. However, for a more casual look, you can use thicker strands with a little more of a “messy” style.

Step 3: Gather another strand from the outside of section A, and bring it into section B. Then pull another strand from section B and gather it into section A. Keep repeating this pattern until you reach the end of the sections of hair, or until you would like to tie it off with a hair tie.

While the fishtail looks amazingly complex, once you break it down, you can get the look in three simple steps!