Studying Abroad with Alexis Weisman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Alexis Weisman goes to UF. But today, she woke up in the heart of Seville, Spain.

Weisman, a 19-year-old linguistics sophomore, is currently studying abroad.

“I have a huge passion for traveling and learning about other people and cultures in our world,” Weisman said.

The decision to study abroad was one that formed in high school and solidified as she became a student at UF. According to Weisman, it was one of the easiest decisions she’s ever made.

“The only difficulty was choosing where in the world I wanted to study and what was the best program for me,” she said.

Now staying in a city radiating history, Weisman said she’s immersed herself in the culture.

She said she appreciates the little things more now, like free water at restaurants and a dryer for her laundry.

But with the sacrifices, Weisman said she’s already gotten a lot in return.

“I can’t put into words what I’ve gained,” she said. “I’ve only been out of the country for three weeks and the way I see the world is already changing.”

Here on UF’s campus, Weisman is involved in the Foreign Language Organization, where she tutors foreign exchange students in English and UF students in Spanish. She is also a member of Phi Sigma Pi, a co-ed honor fraternity, and called them her family away from home.

While abroad, Weisman said she’s made friends with college students from more than 20 different states in the US as well as students from different countries all throughout the European Union.

“It’s nice to know you aren’t the only foreigner in a city with such an authentic and rich culture,” she said. “No matter the situation I haven’t felt like I’m doing this alone.”

Weisman offered advice for any girls on the fence about studying abroad – “stop.”

“This experience is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and you need to take advantage of it,” she said.

“If you have a significant other you don’t want to risk losing over a long-distance relationship, trust me, if they really care about you and it’s meant to be, they’ll be there when you get back,” Weisman said.

Weisman also said for the girls who don’t want to miss a semester at school because they’ll miss the shenanigans with their girlfriends, “you’ll make even better memories abroad.”

Weisman said if the cost is a stress factor, money is replaceable but the opportunity of studying abroad isn’t.

“Put yourself first,” she said.

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.