This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It is no doubt cold in Gainesville, and it has no signs of stopping. And we aren’t talking about 70 colds or Floridians unnecessarily complaining. We are seeing Alachua County shiver in 30-degree weather. There were even frost warnings!

With plenty of new freshmen and other students who did not expect this weather, staying warm can prove difficult, especially in style. However, there is no reason to fret or freeze because I’m here – your friendly Floridian teaching you how to stay warm. I have various experiences in the intense cold, from traveling at a young age to Utah and Alaska to backpacking in Washington for weeks, I have learned some tips and tricks to stay cozy:

Let’s Stay Warm

Step 1:

The first key which many college students are reluctant to try is a hat. Yes, you may think you look silly but who cares, you’re warm! Your head is responsible for 10% of heat loss (according to Cleveland Clinic). Why do you think the moment babies are born a beanie is plopped right onto their head? It’s not because it’s adorable, although it undoubtedly is, it’s because it keeps them comfortably heated. So, if you are stubborn, like my sister, you can opt for a comfy version that both looks stylish and has purpose. I suggest for a girly with expensive tastes a foxy sherpa bucket hat from Alo, or Lululemon cable knit beanie (which is on sale). If you’re like me, and balling on a budget, you can choose anything from this Carhartt beanie shipped next day on Amazon to many options just down the road (with enormous price drops) at Old Navy: wide cuff beanie or sherpa bucket hat.

Step 2:

The next key is layering. Depending on how cold it is and how susceptible you are, starting with a pair of warm thermals can build a strong defense against wind and frosty temperatures. While you can purchase them from Walmart by their silly name “Long Johns,” you can also just sneakily throw on some long pajamas as a base. I promise no one has to know you are wearing your Target Pj’s from 2012.

Step 3:

After you have your base, throw on another pair of comfy pants and a shirt on top to provide your chest the extra bundle it needs. Long sleeves are always best for frosty days but layering in of itself can be tremendously helpful. For your bottoms, any pair of sweatpants or even loosely fitted tights or jeans, maybe you were handed down a pair from your sibling that was just loose enough to be awkward but shoved in your closet anyway– well now they have purpose.

Step 4:

On top of this two-layer “regular clothing” buffer, a nice coat on top does wonders. If you are in a sorority, your anorak can protect from sheer gust, but there are options abound. A personal favorite of mine is a lightweight and thin, but mighty, Patagonia. The original price may be steep but if you buy in off season on sale or even choose to make the investment, Patigonia will not disappoint. There is a definitive reason they are a cult classic, much like that with any puffer.  Don’t ask me how, but that damn air technology works; it’s magic.

I have had my Patigonia for over two years now without a single fiber misplaced, and it’s even been in the washing machine. The wonderful thing about them is they fold up so small but when it comes to it, they both protect from the wind and keep me a little bundle of comfort even on the coldest of days.

Step 5:

I almost forgot: SOCKS! They truly do make all the difference, especially if you are a fellow nature lover. Whether you are hiking the Appalachian Trail or the hill to Marston, a nice pair of wool socks keeps the dogs from barking.

Now that you have conquered the cold…

Remember there is no prize for dressing in shorts and a shirt in the 40s (despite what most of fraternity row chooses to believe). Staying warm makes this weather actually fun. And hey, since when is being hot a bad thing?

Natasha is currently a freshman at the University of Florida majoring in business management. She is a new news writer for Her Campus and is excited to spread joy and knowledge to readers. Her hobbies range from backpacking in the wilderness to painting. While she currently working toward a career consulting, she hopes to also explore life as a national forest park ranger. In her upcoming years at University, she hopes to study in Europe, gain friendships, and keep on learning and growing.