Songs that Never Fail to Get the Crowd Going

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There are just certain songs out there that will always make you want to dance like no one is watching.  Some are classics that have never gone out of style, while others we grew up with.  They can bring us back to our childhood, reminding us of the good old days. Even more are new songs that have already cemented their place in our playlists. Here are 15 of the best songs that will get everyone out of their seats and singing every word at the top of their lungs:

“Mr. Brightside” by The Killers

Every single time this song comes on, the inner singer in every single person comes out. Every 2000s baby has heard this song so many times throughout their childhood that the lyrics are practically seared into their brains, a fact that can be clearly seen every time those opening notes start to play. Hype car ride? We’re singing “Mr. Brightside.” Losing it at the club? Chances are “Mr. Brightside” is playing in the background. Despite being played over and over again throughout the years, this is an example of a song that’ll never get old. Why? Cause I’m “Mr. Brightside!”

“No Hands” by Waka Flocka Flame

A frat classic for a reason, this is a favorite of the girlies. You could be having the worst time in a gross basement, but then this song comes on and all is fixed. There’s truly no feeling that compares to the one you feel when Waka Flocka Flame is singing “girl, drop it to the floor.” This one will play at every party occasion you could think of, but no one in the history of man has ever complained – it’s just that song.

“Mo Bamba” by Sheck Wes

You wanna see the boys absolutely lose it? Play this classic by Sheck Wes. The best part? When the DJ cuts out the track at the bridge and you just hear everyone scream the lyrics. If you can’t go word for word on this song, you probably didn’t exist during the 2000s, because this song was everywhere. You literally couldn’t escape it if you tried. Even people who hated it originally can’t deny that it has fully cemented its place as the song of an entire generation.

“Doses and Mimosas” by Cherub

This just feels like freshman year. It’s almost indescribable, but those who know know. You’re done with all your homework and you’re in someone’s backyard. The sun is shining, you’ve got a red solo cup in your hand and you feel complete and utter bliss. It’s nostalgic, it’s vibey, it’s perfect.

“Hotel Room Service” by Pitbull

WE AT THE HOTEL MOTEL HOLIDAY INN. That’s all.

“The Spins” by Mac Miller

Mac Miller will always hold a special place in the hearts of many, this song being a huge reason why. It just captures what it means to be a young dumb teenager living life. Feeling lost, confused, but just happy to be alive is the definition of this song – one that many of us survived on during high school, especially graduation. How we all know every single lyric to this song remains a mystery, but it doesn’t change the fact that we all know and love it.

“Crank That (Soulja Boy)” by Soulja Boy

Everyone knows the dance to this song. If you don’t, did you live during the early 2000s? Your parents probably didn’t love this song, but that didn’t stop us from listening to it whenever possible. When this song came out in 2007, everyone was doing the dance, and today when it plays, you best believe everyone still does. You might even remember the Ancient Mesopotamia remix half of us watched in our World History class. No? Just me?

“Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)” by ABBA

Those opening chords play, and every single girl is sprinting to the dance floor. “Mamma Mia” may have originally popularized this song and maintained its relevance, but this song on its own has proved to be a quintessential tune that can really be played for any occasion. The song hits to an even higher degree when you’re single at the club and it’s past midnight – the lyrics just mean so much more because you’re truly singing them from your chest. ABBA will never miss – this song most of all.

“Like a G6” by Far East Movement, The Cataracts and DEV

All 2000s babies know this song by heart. What is a G-6? How does one feel to “fly like a G-6?” Did Far East Movement, The Cataracts and DEV ever make other songs? While we may never know the answers to these questions, one thing we can be sure of is that this song will hit every single time. This song will always maintain its status as a consistent bop, either due to the rush of nostalgia we get when we hear it, the electronic sound, the catchy melody or a combination of all three.

“Country Girl (Shake It for Me)” by Luke Bryan

We had to have at least one country song on here. Even people who claim to hate country music will find themselves tapping their feet along to this tune, while those who know and love it lose their mind on the dance floor. Whether it’s trying to remember whether Luke Bryan says to shake it for the birds or the bees or the catfish down deep in the creek, you’ll surely have the time of your life when this song plays. It’s a classic for a reason. Come on, come on, come on!

“Take It Off” by Fisher (feat. Aatig)

A new addition to this list, “Take It Off” is a techno club track that somehow everyone knows.  Despite being less than a year old, it seems that everyone and their mother knows this song. Is it because DJs love to play it every chance they get? Maybe. Are we complaining? Most definitely not. The repetitive lyrics and beat never fail to get the crowd going, especially during Aatig’s additions throughout the song. It’s impossible to hate this track – it’s fun and incredibly catchy.

“Stacy’s Mom” by Fountains of Wayne

A 2000s pop punk classic that’ll never go out of style. Who is Stacy’s Mom? No one knows, but we sure know that she’s got it going on. This goes solidly in the pop punk Dad rock category.  It’s a song we heard while riding in the car seat in the back of a minivan, that we might not have loved at the time, but now can’t get enough of. We all know every lyric, even though we never chose to put it on ourselves.

“Love Story” by Taylor Swift

No force in this world is stronger than that of the Swifties. If you need any proof of this, just play “Love Story” at any function and you’ll see every girl (and most guys too) absolutely lose their minds. This is the song that made most of us fall in love with Taylor Swift at a young age, and the love felt for this song has not faded a bit over the years. Make sure to watch for the part when Taylor sings “he knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said marry me Juliet,” and everyone subsequently goes crazy. It’s a practically guaranteed phenomenon. Just make sure that it’s Taylor’s Version that’s playing.

UF SPECIALS

“Won’t Back Down” by Tom Petty

This one is a game day classic. For UF students, there’s absolutely no feeling like the one when Tom Petty comes on between the 3rd and 4th quarter of home football games. It embodies what it means to be a Gator and reinforces the fact that there truly is nothing better than game day in the Swamp. 30 years from now, Gators will hear this and remember the good ol’ days.

“Dixieland Delight” by Alabama

The adlibs to this song go absolutely crazy on a night out. Call out our biggest rivals? You bet.  Any song where everyone just instinctually just yells out disses at FSU, LSU and Tennessee is a song I’m a fan of. It might take a second to learn what everyone is saying, but once you do, this song will be a forever Gainesville favorite.

Are there any I missed? Let us know which is your favorite hype song!

Lauren is currently a second year at the University of Florida studying Media Production and Classical Studies. Originally from Chicago, she now calls South Florida home when she isn't attending school in Gainesville. She loves writing articles about life on campus, the newest trends taking over TikTok, women in sports, and beauty/wellness. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her watching Formula One, reading the latest sports romance book, watching hockey, or talking about her most recent film obsession. She hopes to work in the film industry in the future; writing, producing, and directing her own films.