The Skinny on 2011 Fitness Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the fitness fads of 2010 behind us (see ya, Shake Weight), gym buffs are ready to say out with the old and in with the new.

You can’t blame them for being finicky. Repeatedly working your muscles in the same ways, like using the same machines at the gym or always choosing the elliptical for cardio, will only lead to muscle memory and ultimately a plateau in your level of fitness.

The annual survey results from the American College of Sports Medicine has shown a major shift in the way fitness buffs are reaching their health goals. Professionals are predicting cheaper, more practical methods of exercise (like boot camp and yoga) will continue to gain popularity among people trying to stay healthy rather than the expensive, machine-based fads that are now fading out of the picture.

Switching up how you stay fit can be crucial in the effectiveness of your exercises, and with Spring Break just a few weeks away, we all want to get the most out of our workouts. Whether you’re sick of your same ‘ole routine or looking for a program interesting enough to get you to the gym, check out our six picks of the top fitness trends in 2011:

• Boot Camp Workout

A high-intensity structured activity program modeled after military style training and led by an instructor who may or may not have the ability to make you cry, boot camp classes just may be the in-your-face motivation you need to get back in shape. Offering the benefits of a full body workout and usually 75 percent cheaper than paying for a personal trainer, the program incorporates cardiovascular, strength, endurance and flexibility drills in both indoor and outdoor settings.

The University of Florida offers two classes a week, Mondays and Thursdays from 5 to 6 p.m. at McGuire Field, for students adventurous enough for the challenge and the bragging rights. Local professionals, like JT’s Personal Training, also offer classes if you live off campus.

• Yoga

With its origins tracing all the way back to the Stone Age, this trend seems more like a foundation than a disposable fad. Don’t think that just because it’s been around for so long that there’s nothing fresh to be found for experienced or new yogis. This holistic mind-body routine is proven to be an effective fat burner and with so many varieties to choose from it’s difficult to grow bored with the same moves. Hatha, Vinyasa and Ashtanga yoga can all be found through classes offered by RecSports on campus and even more types, such as “hot” yoga, can be found at local studios like Big Ron’s Yoga College.

• Small Group Classes

If you feel lost in the crowd in regular group classes or don’t want to commit to one-on-one sessions with a personal trainer, small group classes may be the Holy Grail of reaching your fitness goals. Besides offering much lower prices than traditional personal training, instructors are able to provide more personalized attention than normal classes and you’ll be able to form a tighter bond with your classmates.

• Spinning

This trend is set to gain even more popularity in 2011, which could be bad news for those who already show up an hour before the class even starts just to claim a spot. The beauty of indoor cycling is that it can easily be tailored to your specific fitness level and is an option rain or shine. If you’re not sure how you’ll handle an hour of intense cycling, the classes are packed with enough high-energy music and instructor guidance to halt any thoughts of stopping from crossing your mind.

• Piloxing

A new inter-disciplinary program that combines the power, speed and agility of boxing with the sculpting and flexibility of Pilates, Piloxing is a great way to get quick results while having fun. The classes are upbeat and focus on the fat-burning power of interval training, perfect for evading boredom from doing the same movement for an hour. The cardio from boxing will help you to shed pounds fast while the Pilates portion will give you the cuts and curves you’re craving for Spring Break. Check out www.piloxing.com to find out more. 

• Strength Training

An essential part to any exercise program, strength training is what will keep you fit for years to come. Health professionals have long touted the benefits of developing stronger muscles, like less injuries and a higher metabolic rate, and now it’s your turn to do your part. Strength training is easy to incorporate in everyday routines, whether you want to try medicine balls, kettle bells or just your own body weight for resistance. Basics like lunges, push-ups and squats are always a good place to start, but don’t be scared to use dumbbells or machines like the FreeMotion series.