Should You Join A Cultural Organization?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Before going to the University of Florida, I grew up in a town with little to no Asian Americans, let alone Vietnamese people. College was a different experience. I saw people of my own culture everywhere I walked. I decided to join the Vietnamese Student Organization this year, and it has influenced my life in a positive way. Are you thinking about joining a cultural organization at your own school? Here are three reasons why you should.

You’ll make friends

Your involvement with clubs and organizations is just as important as your academics, so join organizations you are interested in. It enhances your college experience tenfold. Joining a cultural organization allows you to meet people who understand your cultural tendencies and the way you grew up. A good example of a group of people who are connected by their culture is the viral Facebook group “Subtle Asian Traits.” This group has connected people all across the world, and a cultural organization is just a real-life version of it. A cultural organization can be your home away from home. It’s a place to go to that is not solely academic-related where you can destress. People are welcoming and more than happy to welcome you into their organization. Cultural organizations tend to intertwine. I see Chinese, Korean and Filipino students at the Vietnamese Student Organization meetings. You can form lifelong friendships at these cultural organizations.

You get closer to your culture

As I grew up, I lost touch with my Vietnamese culture. I do not partake in my own cultural traditions as often as I once did, especially now that I am away from my parents and family. With the Vietnamese Student Organization, or whatever cultural organization you choose to join, there are a variety of events that are directly related to your own cultural traditions. For example, the Vietnamese Student Organization at the University of Florida puts on the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, “Tết Trung Thu.” Cultural organizations help you feel closer to who you are and increase your sense of identity.

There are leadership opportunities

Leadership opportunities are abundant in cultural organizations. From joining the executive board to joining committees for events, you can always get involved. These leadership opportunities help you learn several skills such as public speaking, organization and time-management. You can improve your skills while you learn more about your own culture.

Even if you’re nervous to join a cultural organization, remember that this is an opportunity to step out of your comfort zone and meet people who will make you feel more at home when you’re away from home. If these reasons have not convinced you to join your own cultural organizations, consider this: there’s almost always free food at meetings.