Style > Beauty

She is Beauty, She is Grace, She is the New Miss University of Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

On Feb. 27,  12 University of Florida students took the stage of the Curtis M. Phillips Center for Performing Arts to compete for the crown of Miss University of Florida.
All of the women did a fabulous job, but after five rounds of competition including an on-stage question, talent portion and evening wear display, the new Miss University of Florida 2012 is….Ashlyn Robinson!
Ashlyn won an amazing package of goodies including a $1,000 scholarship and official Miss American crown and sash.  She also won several gift certificates and products to help prepare her for Miss Florida in July.
As Miss University of Florida, Ashlyn will travel throughout Florida spreading awareness about her platform, Bitter or Better, as well as attending benefits, parades and local events.  We are excited to see what 2012 has in store for Ashlyn as she embarks on a journey she will never forget!
Ashlyn was not the only gorgeous lady to take part in the competition.  To learn more about the Miss University of Florida 2012 contestants, view of pre-pageant coverage at: http://www.hercampus.com/school/ufl/pageant-life-get-know-some-miss-uf-contestants
Would you like to be a part of Miss Florida?  The Miss America organization looks for women ages 17 to 24 who are focused on bettering their education, living a healthy lifestyle and carrying themselves with elegance and grace.
Scholarship pageant winners like Ashlyn will work with Miss American representatives throughout the year on ways to better their community, as well as themselves. 
Miss University of Florida 2011, Kelly Hawkins, discussed how winning the crown was one of the most rewarding experiences of her life.  She continued by explaining some of her favorite moments which included working with the miracle children of Shands hospital.
Experiences like Kelly’s are what the Miss America organization is all about.  Thousands of memories have been made from the scholarship pageants, and who knows, sometime soon, you too could be making memories of your own as a crown holder.
So what are the next steps to getting involved in Miss Florida?  Entering and winning a local pageant.  For more information on local pageants, check out Miss Florida’s website for all the details:  http://www.missflorida.org/missfllocalpageants.html 
Best of luck to Ashlyn and any other Gators participating in Miss Florida this July.  Hopefully a University of Florida student or alumnus will be walking the Miss America stage in 2013 as Miss Florida!