Shaniqua Thompson: Head Lady in Charge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For Shaniqua Thompson, the next two months will be the busiest of her college career. The graduating senior is director of the Florida Invitational Step Show, one of the biggest student-run events on our campus.
The Florida Invitational Step Show (FISS) is an annual event held during the Black Student Union’s celebration of Black History Month.
“Our show is a showcase for the nine historically black Greek letter organizations in order to highlight their unique art of ‘stepping,’” Thompson said.
The show also “exhibits the importance of their scholastic achievements and sisterhood/brotherhood within these Greek organizations.”
This year’s show is being held Feb. 18 at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center.
Thompson has been on the FISS committee for many years.
“I started on the FISS street team, which is the marketing team for FISS,” she said.
As director, Thompson is in charge of every aspect of the show.
“I’m responsible for everything from the staging to the logos that go on every piece of FISS-related material. Our show costs around $80,000 and encompasses an entire weekend of events that I plan down to the tiniest detail, such as food, location, and music,” Thompson said.
Most people would be afraid to be over such a large scale event but not Thompson.
“I’ve loved every minute,” she said.
According to her, the best part of being director has been being able to work with her committee.
“I’m over 50 of the most amazing people on this campus. They have made all the stress worth it,” Thompson said.
In addition to being in charge of such a huge event Thompson is also very involved on campus.
She is currently the vice president of the Journalism and Communications Ambassadors, serves on the advisory board of Black Women’s Image Initiative, a member of the executive board of the Black Student Union, a member of the honorary fraternity of Omicron Delta Kappa, and an Admissions Volunteer Ambassador.
When asked how she handles it all, Thompson said, “My life is never a dull moment.”
She hopes that this year’s FISS is one of the best that our campus has ever seen.
“I love being in charge of something that has such a strong legacy and will be remembered long after I’ve graduated,” she said.
Tickets for the Florida Invitational Step Show are currently on sale at the Box Office and on Ticketmaster.