Savvy Updates: Spring Cleaning for Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s finally time to pack up your North Face jackets and argyle sweaters — spring is in the air! It’s the season of flirty tank tops, sundresses and J Crew Chino Shorts. A change in weather is the best time to reevaluate your wardrobe and remove the items that you’re no longer wearing in order to make room for new trends this season. As collegiate women, we don’t always have the type of closets you see on MTV Cribs, so downsizing your wardrobe to what you’re currently wearing is a great way to free up some space for that new pair of wedges that you’ve had your eyes on.

A great rule of thumb when looking through your wardrobe is to think of the last time you’ve worn certain pieces in your closet. With the exception of special occasion dresses, if you haven’t worn a certain dress or top for 4-6 months, you may want to reconsider the space that it’s taking up in your closet. If you can’t remember the last time you’ve worn an item, then it’s probably time to let it go.

If you find this strategy to be harder than it seems, then you must try the backwards hanger trick. Take your entire wardrobe and reverse the hangers on the rack so that the open part of the hanger is facing you. During the next month, when you wear something, put the clothing item back on the hanger in the direction you normally would. At the end of the month, look in your closet to see which clothing pieces are still facing the opposite direction and think about why you made the past selections. Maybe weather wasn’t ideal, or you didn’t have the specific occasion, but if you find yourself questioning if the piece fits your current style or fit, then don’t think twice about removing it from your wardrobe.

Letting go of a certain dress or top can be difficult sometimes, but remember… out with the old means in with the new!