Savory Scenes: A Certain Je ne sais quois

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Bonjour, collegiettes! In this new blog, I’ll be pairing recipes to some recommended movies to enjoy with friends, a significant other, or just to have all to yourself. I present to you: dinner and a movie!

This week, I’d like to recommend a personal favorite: Amélie. This quirky, whimsical feature takes place in Paris and follows a young woman who seeks to help others find happiness while she wishes for her own happy ending. The recipes I have chosen to go with it are popular French recipes: a dessert crêpe and Croque Monsieur — basically a glorified grilled ham and cheese sandwich, most often available in French cafés. I recommend pairing cider (hard or virgin) or a bottle of French wine for a pièce de resistance.

Croque Monsieur

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons butter

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups hot milk

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

½ teaspoon thyme

Pinch of nutmeg

12 ounces/5 cups Swiss Cheese (preferably Gruyere)

½ cup grated Parmesan

16 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed

Dijon mustard

¾ pound sliced ham

Directions:

1.     Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

2.     Melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Add the flour, stirring for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until sauce is thick. Take the pan off the burner and add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, Parmesan, and half of the Gruyere cheese (shredded). Set aside.

3.     Fill sandwich with mustard, ham, and other half of the Gruyere. Toast on a baking sheet until cheese is melted and top is golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and preheat the broiler.

4.     Spread sauce on top, and sprinkle with any remaining cheese. Broil until golden brown and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from oven.

Notes: 

• Be sure to move oven rack to the middle or bottom third of the oven, otherwise the sauce on top will burn.
  • Broiler time may vary.

Nutella and Strawberry Crêpes

Ingredients:

2 large eggs

3/4 cup milk

1/2 cup water

1 cup flour

3 tablespoons melted butter

Butter, for coating the pan

Nutella

Strawberries

Directions:

1.     In a blender, combine all of the ingredients and mix for 10 seconds. Place the crepe batter in the refrigerator for 1 hour (or up to 2 days).

2.     Warm a small non-stick pan over medium heat and coat with butter. Pour ¼ cup of batter (for 10-inch pan) into the center of the pan and swirl to spread evenly. Cook until edges crinkle, about 30 to 40 seconds, and flip. Cook for another 15 seconds and move to a flat surface to cool. Continue until all batter is gone.

3.     Spread Nutella on half of a crepe and top with sliced strawberries. Fold in half (and in half again for quarter of size). Garnish with a drizzle of chocolate syrup and powdered sugar.

Notes:

• If you don’t have a blender, you can mix in a bowl with an electric mixer for 10 seconds or whisk until even. Be sure not to over whisk.
  • If you can’t flip the crepe, you can use a spatula. Just be careful of tearing.
  • Leftover crepes can be stored in plastic bags in the refrigerator for a week or in the freezer for up to two months.

Links:

http://www.marthastewart.com/938788/croque-monsieur

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/croque-monsieur-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/crepes-recipe/index.html

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.