This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The years spent in college are some of the most formative times in one’s life. While academics and social life are crucial aspects of the college experience, the most important piece is to feel safe on campus.

In recent years, there has been a push to make college campuses safer. Under the Clery Act, campuses are required to publish crime statistics on campus as well as share the location of where these crimes occur. Colleges are also mandated to issue crime warnings, create policies for missing students and have emergency response policies in place. 

The recent heartbreaking tragedies at the University of Florida have reinforced the need for greater traffic safety policies on and around campus. These tragedies have also led UF students to evaluate their own safety on campus.

Overall, most UF students feel safe walking around alone on campus during the day. However, at night there is definitely a greater fear of walking around campus and Gainesville. 

Isabella Stolarcyzk, a freshman studying voice in combination with political science, reflected, “ For the most part I do feel safe on campus. I think it’s still a little unsettling to walk around alone at night especially as a girl, but if I’m with other people I feel perfectly safe.”

Nathan Knorst, a 19-year-old finance major wrote, “I feel pretty safe walking around campus alone, especially on the north/northeast side of campus. I just don’t like walking along University.”

To stay safe at night, students mentioned taking extra precautions such as walking with friends, taking a SNAP ride — which drives throughout campus from 6:30 p.m.-3 a.m. — carrying pepper spray or a taser and trying to walk in well-lit areas.

Other students such as Robert Kupa, a 20-year-old statistics junior, and Briana Ma, a freshman accounting major shared some ways they stay more protected on campus. 

“I keep my distance from large groups of people in case they might try to take my bike or something, I don’t look at my phone for more than a few seconds at a time, and most importantly, I turn my flashlight on when crossing the street on foot, or bike across as quickly as possible because I don’t want to get hit by a car,” Kupa said.

Ma shared, “I have pepper spray, and I make sure to assess my surroundings when I am out.  I prefer walking with friends and feel safer when I do.” 

While most students could not recall an incident of feeling unsafe or in harms’ way, some students have had some unsafe experiences on campus.

Blake Ockman, a 19-year-old criminology major wrote,  “while I have always felt safe… my girlfriend has faced harassment, catcalls, and more that have led to her feeling extremely unsafe walking alone. I try my best to always be there for her, but it is not always possible.”

Other students also reported experiencing catcalls and being approached/followed near campus. 

Another safety concern is theft as many UF students mentioned that they have had scooters and bikes stolen from them on campus. 

Outside of a few cases, most UF students feel safe. By watching out for each other and being more vigilant of our surroundings,  we can make the campus safer for everyone.

Adina Hirsch is a senior at the University of Florida. She is studying economics and psychology in hopes to attend law school to become a public defender. Adina is passionate about cold brew coffee, juvenile justice, and new experiences.