Ryan Gosling Echoes Public Sentiment on ‘Barbie’ Oscar Nomination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

So, here’s the scoop: Does the Oscar nomination validate the overarching message of the “Barbie” movie?

Public sentiment seems to agree that it does.

It’s no secret that the Oscar nominations always stir up a whirlwind of emotions and discussions within the film industry and among the general public.

However, one particular nomination that has been seen as a complete plot twist catching the public’s attention was Ryan Gosling’s nomination for his role in the “Barbie” movie. 

Gosling, known for his versatile performances and outspoken views, has recently echoed the public sentiment surrounding his nomination.

Gosling played the role of Ken in the summer blockbuster “Barbie” and received a nomination for Best Supporting Actor. However, the film’s director, Greta Gerwig, and lead star, Margot Robbie, were notably absent from the list of nominees in their respective categories.

With the main message of the movie being to showcase female oppression in a patriarchal world, where their efforts often go unnoticed or aren’t given due recognition, Gosling’s nomination instead of Gerwig or Robbie was a huge bombshell.

In response to the nominations, Gosling released a strongly-worded statement expressing both his delight and disappointment.

In a statement released, Gosling expressed his deep honor for his own nomination while conveying disappointment at the snubbing of his colleagues, Gerwig and Robbie. Gosling’s words reflected not only his gratitude for the recognition but also his acknowledgment of the collaborative effort that brought “Barbie” to life.

Gosling began his statement by expressing his extreme honor at being nominated alongside remarkable artists in a year filled with outstanding films. He humorously acknowledged the unexpected nature of his nomination, portraying a character named Ken in a film about a plastic doll.

However, he quickly shifted the focus to emphasize that the success of “Barbie” was a collective achievement, crediting Gerwig and Robbie as the driving forces behind the globally celebrated film.

“No recognition would be possible for anyone on the film without their talent, grit, and genius,” Gosling stated, highlighting the indispensable contributions of Gerwig and Robbie to the groundbreaking nature of “Barbie.”

He went on to express his disappointment at their omission from the nominations, emphasizing that their work made audiences laugh, broke hearts, pushed cultural boundaries and made history.  

Gosling’s statement also acknowledged the challenges faced during the creation of “Barbie.” He described the characters as “soulless, scantily clad, and thankfully crotchless dolls,” emphasizing the unconventional nature of the film.

Despite these odds, Gerwig and Robbie managed to create a film that resonated with audiences and left a lasting impact on the industry.

Gosling’s statement not only showcased his gratitude for the personal recognition but also underscored the importance of acknowledging the collaborative efforts behind “Barbie.”

The controversy surrounding the Oscar nominations for “Barbie” brings to light larger discussions about the evolving standards of recognition within the film industry and the need to appreciate groundbreaking work, even if it defies traditional expectations.

Gosling’s nomination sparks a crucial question: Did viewers truly grasp the movie’s core message?

I am a second-year English and Political Science major at UF. I hope to inspire readers by writing and providing useful information. I love to read fiction and write about current events.