Rooting for The Anti-Hero: How Midnights By Taylor Swift Is Making History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

And just like that, Taylor Swift has dominated the world of music and pop culture again. Not only has Swift released another genius original album that fans can’t get enough of, but she’s also making history and isn’t slowing down anytime soon. Let’s talk about it.

Just days after the release of her 10th studio album, “Midnights,” Taylor Swift has made her mark on many record-breaking accomplishments. The album, representing 13 sleepless nights throughout Taylor’s life, received an immense amount of praise from fans that has only continued to grow. According to Billboard, the album officially moved over 1.5 million equivalent album units in its debut week— the best opening bow not only for any Swift album but for any album in the last 20 years outside of Adele’s 2015 album, 25. According to Republic Records, the album “notched 3 million sales worldwide” and is the best debut of Swift’s career.

Four days after the release, “Midnights” reached over 357 million on-demand official streams and ended the week with the record for third-largest streaming week ever for an album. Taylor Swift is now the record holder for largest streaming week ever for an album by a female artist. “Midnights” also became Spotify’s most-streamed album in a single day and Swift secured her title of being the most-streamed artist in a single day in Spotify history. Apple Music also reported Swift broke the all-time record for the biggest album ever released globally in Spatial Audio on the streaming platform. She also set the record for the biggest pop album of all time on Apple Music by first-day streams. 

Taylor’s success grows far beyond streams. According to Billboard, on Oct. 22, just one day after the album’s release, it became the single-largest sales week for a vinyl album since Luminate began the tracking of sales in 1991. “Midnights” ended its debut week with a record-breaking 575,000 units sold. The previous record-holder being “Harry’s House” by Harry Styles, which debuted with 182,000 sold.

Taylor Swift is now the first musical artist to completely take over the top 10 spots of the Billboard Hot 100 chart. “Midnights” is the first album to ever have 10 songs in the top 10.

Taylor Swift, over the span of her career, now has 40 top 10 hits. She also now holds the record as the female artist with the most top 10 hits, beating Madonna who’s record stands at 38. Swift is only one musician away from being the artist with the most top 10 hits with that artist being Drake who currently has 59 hits.

Swift has now also released an extended edition (7 extra songs) titled “Midnights (3am Edition),” which is available on streaming and digital platforms. 

Fans continue to voice their support and admiration for the singer, the album and her latest stream of successes. Miss Swift, you’ve done it again. According to fans, You’re (not) On Your Own, Kid. Well done.

Madison is a student at The University of Florida majoring in Mass Media Production with a minor in Graphic Design. Madison is a positive individual who loves astrology, Harry Styles, and any kind of iced coffee. When she isn't writing, you can find her shopping for plants, playing Mariokart with her friends, and perfecting her strategies for making the perfect avocado toast.