Quick Tips to Road Trip For Less

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

So here we are; with Spring Break behind us and only a month of school to go, I know I’m not the only one who’s itching for a break. Don’t get me wrong, endless piles of schoolwork and the dull drone of my professors are exactly the things I want filling these beautiful spring days, but sometimes the need for freedom just wins out. And what would any collage girl do with a free weekend and a group of friends? That’s right; road trip!

“Not so fast!” my wallet cries. Between rent, tuition, and everything else, many of us don’t have a lot of extra pocket cash to just throw around willy-nilly. And with gas prices skyrocketing, road trips aren’t as feasible as they once were. What used to be a cheap and easy getaway can now cost upwards of $100…just on gas! So how can us colligates still enjoy a well-earned break without spending a small fortune?

Bring your meals along for the ride
Some of the biggest road trip spending comes from eating out. Though one or two meals out won’t do much harm, an entire weekend at the local bar and grill can really hit where it hurts. But do not fear—there is a solution! Bringing your meals along is the perfect way to save money. Better yet, it can be part of the fun! Take along sandwiches and a blanket and turn it into a picnic. Pack graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate, get the campfire going and voilà! S’mores anyone?

Free events are your friends
There’s no reason to spend your hard-earned money on expensive events when most cities host plenty of free ones. Check out the local newspaper for the latest concerts, music festivals, art shows, and outdoor activities. Go see a performance at the local theater, visit a museum, or bike down a nature trail. Visit the zoo or any historical centers in the area. Even just lounging on the beach for a day is better than sitting in class!

Take advantage of gas-finder apps
So let’s face it. Someone in your group has an iPhone. Better yet, nowadays there seems to be an app for everything. Luckily, this includes “cheap gas finder” apps such as GasBuddy (which is free!) and Fuel Finder. The apps use your current location to track down the nearest gas stations and then show you which ones are selling gas for the lowest price. Handy, right?

Never underestimate the buddy system
What good are cheap gas finder apps if you’re still paying for the whole tank on your own? Traveling together is a great way to share the cost. Plus, it makes the “road” in “road trip” fun as well! Plan ahead to be sure there is room for everyone’s luggage (especially if you—like me—are a chronic “overpacker”). Turn on your spring playlist, hit the road, and get ready for a memorable weekend!