An Open Letter to My Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Dear Roomie,

I literally saw you a couple of hours ago and I’ll probably see you again when you get home tonight, but I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you. I know we only became roommates last fall, but that still counts, right? I’m not really one to get super sappy, but it’s crazy to think that I used to imagine going to college with my best friends and enjoying our twenties together, and I actually get to do that. 

I never thought we would stay friends past first grade, especially since we ended up going to different middle schools. We ended up going to different schools for most of our lives, so I definitely assumed that we would drift apart.

It’s funny how things work out, though. I was so excited when we got accepted to the same college, and even more excited when we realized we were living so close to each other freshman year. I used to text you at work to catch up and tell you how much I was looking forward to seeing you again. 

Anyways, back to the point. I just wanted you to know that I appreciate every single fro-yo trip we took freshman year, every single trip to the dining hall (you know, back when meal plans were cool and we felt cool for eating in a college dining hall as a real, live college student), and even every single time we stopped to chat in Turlington after classes. And even now, three years later, I still enjoy every single one of our random chats. Y

ou’re literally one of the funniest people I’ve ever met, and your optimism inspires me every day (but so does your love for ramen and chicken tenders). You’re one of the nicest people I know, and I have no doubt that you will succeed in everything you put your mind to. Thank you for not being mad when I come home late and wake you up, and thank you even more for letting me pace around our room, ranting about the stupidest things. Thanks for encouraging me to take a break from studying every now and then, for lending me your jacket when I lost mine, and especially for making me laugh.

People always say that your college experience can depend upon the people you surround yourself with. And now that I’m really thinking about it, they’re probably right. I know that we don’t spend every minute of every day together, but I’m definitely still supporting you from afar (I’m totally being dramatic, as if we’re in a long-distance relationship).

I know, I’m being uncharacteristically cheesy, and to be honest, I have no idea where this is coming from. But the point is, I’m super lucky to have a roommate I can hang out with and talk to, and I’m even luckier to be friends with her.

Cheers to my roomie — because she deserves the world.

Cindy is a senior at the University of Florida. She's hoping to make this year a good one. She loves sriracha and hates talking about herself in third person. As a member of the Her Campus team, she enjoys writing about everything from body positivity to failed cooking endeavors. She has a personal blog that she wants to try and update more frequently and hasn't been very good about, but if you're curious, you can feel free to check it out at thecindycopies.blogspot.com Ask her for her opinion because she's got lots of them, or if that isn't your thing, you read about them every week. HCXO!