Nation in Mourning Over Rise of Trump and His Threat to Human Rights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The world stood still.

Americans held their breath, overcome with either shock, joy or dismay as Donald Trump’s rising electoral votes on Tuesday, Nov. 8 led to his presidency.

The United States presidential election rocked the world for the past year, with many indecisive or apprehensive about having a political opinion out of fear of being controversial or losing friendships. Yet, while most millennials voted for Hillary Clinton — and she did in fact win the overall popular vote as well — Trump won.

Donald Trump will be our 45th president — a statement no one thought to ever be true, a statement that pushes many to grieve.

“I’m sorry.”

Those two words from Clinton’s concession speech resonate with the communities of minorities, women and LGBT community that felt betrayed by their country as well as represent many at a loss of words to describe the U.S. presidential results.

Though Trump and Clinton were arguably two of the least liked candidates in the past decades, no one expected for this much to be at stake, including women’s reproductive rights, gay marriage, birthright citizenship and taxation policy, but a Trump presidency seemed like a far stretch some thought could never be reality.

“I know we have still not shattered that highest and hardest glass ceiling, but someday, someone will, and hopefully sooner than we might think right now,” said Clinton during her concession speech on Wednesday.

Admirably, Clinton maintained her composure and devoided from bitterness, rather she sought to inspire her supporters.

“And to all the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and to achieve your own dreams,” Clinton said.

While some channeled their reactions with tears or social media anger, others took their fears into the streets as they protested Trump’s win. The protests were not restrained to a national level as Londoners who recently experienced Brexit sought to show their support for Americans with a mass protest outside the U.S. embassy.

“Please tell me how I explain this to my future children,” said Liz Plank, Vox reporter.

The sentiment reaches many as we now face ourselves with the questions of how we can teach our nation’s children to respect women, disabled individuals, veterans, latinos and muslims when our president has actively not.

Throughout all of this rage, fear, disappointment and shock, all I can advise is for people not to forget their sense of humanity and for everyone to hold on to their beliefs and morals — the fight will live on.

Photo credits:

www.cbc.ca/

Hey readers! My name is Andrea Carla Lopez, and I am currently a junior at the University of Florida. I am in pursuit of a dual-degree in political science and public relations as well as a certifications in international relations and global communications. My career goals are aimed at contributing to society through a non-governmental organization or intergovernmental organization in hopes that I can advocate for underpriviledged communities as well as help establish stronger international relationships amongst countries.  With Her Campus UFL I am excited to discuss social and political issues that are not only relevant to our millennial generation but also cover key news stories that effect our society as a whole. Although my articles may sometimes be on a serious note, I do genuinely hope to help get people's minds thinking and get conversations started. I do also do artist spotlights and occasionally cover television debates (yes, I meant Grey's Anatomy).  Feel free to follow me on twitter or instagram if you have any requests for an artist spotlight or really anything you think needs to be covered more on Her Campus UFL. Twitter: @A_CarlaLopez Stride on millennials!