This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It has been over a year since I took my last class at my hometown dance studio. For one thing, it is hard for me to comprehend that I am as old as I am. It also doesn’t seem that I’ve ever left the dance studio. For thirteen years of my life, I spent the month of October listening to Christmas music way to early as we prepared for our upcoming Christmas performances. For myself and many other dancers, the dance studio was our home away from home. It’s not just a place we go to dance, but a place where we make close friends, try new things and learn new things.  

Every dancer knows that you become *very* close with the other dancers at the studio. You see each other all the time, travel to dance competitions together and sweat together (there’s a lot of sweat and smelly dance shoes). We all grow up together. We start in the level one classes, young and just excited to wear a fluffy tutu. Then, we start learning more skills and moving up the levels. The years of growth make dance friends some of the closest out there. My dance friends are like my family. We have each other’s backs inside the studio and out because at the end of the day, we are a team.

My schedule for most of elementary, middle and high school was as follows: go to school, get picked up by my grandma, eat dinner in the car and go to dance class for the rest of the night.  

The place where I feel most comfortable is my old dance studio. I had my favorite seat on the bench in the lobby and a my own bin where I would store my shoes and other necessities. I still remember the phone number of the studio, and I could not tell you any of my friends’ phone numbers. I went from barely being tall enough to peek in the studio windows to watching other classes with ease as I warmed up in my pointe shoes. I miss being able to walk into the studio every night and feel like I am in a place that needs me. Aside from my own home, I haven’t felt that since I’ve left home.

A great dance teacher can make or break your dance experience, and I have been extremely lucky to have the best dance teacher around. She is everything I hope to be some day and more. Ms. G is always supportive and encouraging, not only in dance but in all aspects of life. She was one of the first people I texted when I got into the University of Florida, my dream school. I have cried on her shoulder and confided in her. If I totaled up the hours, I probably spent more time with Ms. G than my own mother. The extraordinary thing is that all of her students get this treatment. It’s hard to imagine that someone has that big of a capacity to love like she does. My dance professors here at UF are amazing, but we do not have the connection that I have with Ms. G. She’s definitely my second mom, and other dancers that I know considered their childhood dance teacher as their second moms as well. I believe that the bond one has with their dance teacher is something you can’t find anywhere else.

Most people have a place they consider to be their second home. For some it’s the football field or their work, but mine is my dance studio. Even though I’m miles away, I know my dance family will be there for me, and I will always be there for them.  

Courtney is a freshman majoring in History with a minor in Dance. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus UFL and she's so excited to have this opportunity! Courtney enjoys reading Jane Austen classics, traveling to new places all over the globe, and eating maybe too much Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She's a sister of Delta Nu Zeta, a service sorority on campus, and loves being able to help the community and grow as a proud member of the Gator Nation!