The Must-Have Manicure: Shellac

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There is nothing worse than ruining a new manicure.  Thanks to Shellac, you don’t have to worry about chips, cracks or smudges anymore!

So, what is Shellac?  Shellac is a gel that paints on like polish.  There are four layers: a base coat, two layers of color, and a top coat. After each coat a timed UV light is applied.  Then, voila, you’re done! The process takes the same time as a manicure and allows you to walk out the door with completely dry nails.  No more worrying about grabbing your wallet or car keys out of your purse and ruining your manicure. There are more than 30 Shellac colors to choose from, so there is a color for everyone.

Most manicures cost $15 to $25 and only last a few days. The great thing about Shellac is that it lasts for two to three weeks with no chips or cracks. If you’re a regular mani-pedi girl like me, it saves you money and keeps your nails in tip-top shape.  Depending on the salon and city, you can find Shellac for around $30 to 45.  The gel not only protects your nails, but also helps them grow. What girl doesn’t like beautiful, healthy nails?

Gainesville has many salons and spas that provide shellac treatments.  Hang Ten Nail Design, Salon 119 and Cloud 9 Spa Salon are a few of the awesome locations in town with this manicure option.  For the official locator of shellac near you, check out http://www.cnd.com/Locate/Find-A-Salon.aspx

Does your salon not carry shellac?  Ask about similar gel polish products like Gelish, Gelac or OPI Axxium. 
Low on time and can’t make it to a salon?  Nutra Nail Gel Perfect is an easy at home version that gives you the shellac look for a cheaper price.  The polish dries in five minutes and does not need UV light to set like the other gel polishes.  Gel Perfect comes in 12 colors!  Check out their website http://www.nutranail.com/gelperfect/colors.htmlto see the nearest retail location.