This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For most people, when the first notes of Lizzo’s song “Truth Hurts” starts to play, those in close proximity will start to belt out the lyrics along with her. Lately, Lizzo’s music has been blowing up. Her popularity doesn’t just stem from her catchy songs; it also comes from their messages of female empowerment and self-love.

Plenty of other artists have created music with similar themes, but nobody has been able to do it with as much energy. Lizzo has been able to push these ideas forward unlike any other artist. Whether you need a song to feel better about a guy or to feel empowered, Lizzo has the song for you, and with its remarkable beats, it’ll be stuck in your head for days. 

“Why men great ‘til they got to be great?” 

Men can be a big part of some women’s lives. Men can impact the way women  feel about themselves. There are a million songs written about love and heartbreak, but Lizzo’s songs on the subject matter are different.

Her songs are not just about getting over men; they are also about realizing that if someone doesn’t want to be with you or is playing games with you, it’s time to move on. Lizzo shows us that we always deserve better. For most of my life, all of the songs, movies or shows I have watched or listened to have painted this idea that if you don’t end up with someone it’s probably because of timing or they weren’t the one for you.

However, Lizzo’s music doesn’t make excuses for men. Instead, her music encourages women to live their best lives. Her songs teach women that when somebody isn’t interested in treating you the way you deserve to be treated, then you have to put yourself first. She reminds us that there is nothing wrong with who we are because a certain relationship didn’t pan out the way we imagined it would. 

“Look, so if you fight like a girl, cry like a girl/Do your thing, run the whole damn world” 

There have been plenty of female artists that have preached confidence and women empowerment, but none have become a cultural phenomenon as quickly as Lizzo. This is in part due to a mixture of movements and events like the women’s marches and the #MeToo movement. These movements have occurred in the past few years and caused a change in how we think of women’s empowerment.

There has been a gradual change in how we understand and acknowledge the treatment of women. It is more apparent now that the way women have been treated in the past, and sometimes are still treated, is not acceptable — now more than ever. Women are encouraging one another to speak up, and Lizzo’s music continues to spread this message.

Lizzo has an album filled with songs about women not needing men and being strong all by themselves. This assists in creating a culture of women who are truly starting to feel that they are okay by themselves and that this outdated idea of needing a man is a thing of the past. 

“Yeah, I’m my own soulmate” 

The empowerment women feel from hearing Lizzo’s songs is unmatched. UF senior Jeana Fraser speaks on why she thinks Lizzo is so different and popular at the moment. 

“I think Lizzo is different from other female artists because she has conquered women empowerment and hit the mark like her predecessors haven’t been able to hit,” Fraser said. “Artists like Meghan Trainor have tried to reach what she has done for women: to feel empowered by screaming the lyrics whenever one of Lizzo’s songs come on. Whether it’s being in your own skin or loving yourself, listening to Lizzo makes women feel like their best selves.”

Lizzo’s music works so well at empowering women to be confident, love themselves and put themselves first because her songs are all about believing you’re enough, no matter what. 

I’m glad girls today have Lizzo’s music.

Lizzo can show women that they are strong, contrary to what society has instilled in them from a young age. A woman does not need a man to reassure her of her worth. It’s refreshing to have an artist just be herself and to spread that energy into her music and attitude.

What makes Lizzo different is that she seems to practice what she preaches. Break up songs and sad love songs are great to listen to when you’re going through  it, but Lizzo’s empowering and positive songs allow us to also be put in a great mood. Her music will not let you continue to wallow in self-pity. Instead, it teaches us to move on and that you’re enough. 

Caroline is a fourth-year sociology major at the University of Florida. She is from south Florida and loves to travel, cook, read, and listen to true crime podcasts.