This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If I were to ask you what the light of your life was, what would come to mind? Is it a hobby? A place? Maybe a person or band? For me, I’d say out of the several lights I’m lucky to have in my life, photography has always been one of them.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always found joy in placing my finger on the shutter button and snapping a photo. Whether it was in my free time making my friends model for me, taking photos for my high school or capturing moments of beautiful families when I started a freelance photography business in 2016, I can’t remember a time in my life where I wasn’t taking pictures.

My first memories with photography started around age eight. I sold lemonade to people driving through my neighborhood to save up for the prize my eyes were set on: a disposable camera. I’d scurry off to Walgreens and get my hands on the camera just to call my cousins or friends over to dress them up and take photos. In the following days, I’d anxiously wait for the photos to be developed on a glossy sheet, eager and curious to see what I had captured.

In the years since my love for photography and the joy that it gives me have only increased. I’ve taken photos of so many people, places and things, and I know I won’t be stopping any time soon. Every aspect of photography entices me. From planning out mood boards for shoots, to taking the photos and editing them into the finished product, I enjoy each step. I love the details that are packed into photographs and how each one is a stamp in time. From the clothes someone is wearing, the way their hair is styled, to the way the outside world looks around them — photos encapsulate what life was like at that moment. They are our own personal time machines.

One of my favorite pastimes is to look through my family’s old photographs. Flipping through pages of photo albums allows me to hear untold stories and dive deep into my family’s history. I’m constantly asking my mom, “Who’s that? Where was this? What’s going on in this picture?” It fascinates me to see the younger versions of my family members and to especially see how they dressed. I’ll begin to fantasize not only about what they were like, but what the world was like at the time. I feel the same way about other people’s photos, too, even if I don’t know them. I have an odd fascination with old yearbooks and random photographs at thrift stores. I wonder endlessly about who the subjects were and the stories they could tell.

I lose track of time when looking through photo albums, similar to how I lose myself (in the best way possible) when taking photos with my own two hands. There’s something about taking photos, whether it’s of people or the world around me, that ignites a strong passion and unique joy from within me. I love to capture someone’s personality with a shot, or make people feel like they’re actually in the place I’m taking a photo of, experiencing it for themselves. I think that’s one of the best powers that photographs have, that they can make you feel moments so deeply and vividly, even though you weren’t there yourself.

Beyond taking pictures myself, editing them or looking through them, the experiences I’ve had through photography are some of my most cherished. I’ve been able to meet people who have helped me turn photoshoots into more than just an artistic experience, but a fun and memorable one. I often reminisce on past photoshoots. Collectively, they have been some of the best days of my life. I get to explore new parts of towns and cities, finding new photo opportunities around every corner while meeting great people along the way.

It’s not just shooting with my DSLR (I’m a Canon girl for life) that grants me this happiness — it’s also taking pictures with my iPhone or Polaroid camera. Whatever device I can get my hands on will do. As long as I’m taking pictures, I’ll good!

Whether it’s taking photos myself, admiring the stunning work of others or reflecting on memories captured, any aspect of photography brings so much light into my life. On some of my worst days, I’ve grabbed my camera and driven around town to take photos and document the world around me. It takes my mind off the chaos of life, and I can slip into my old world when a camera is in my hands.

Although I’ve just attempted to, it’s truly hard to put into words how much this art form means to me. Photographs will never cease to amaze and fascinate me, and I’m beyond grateful for all photography has been able to teach, show and grant me. Photography has been a constant joy and passion of mine throughout my life and even thinking about it now, I can’t wait for the next time I’m behind the camera. 

Journalism major at the University of Florida.