Life Lessons I learned from Jason Wu for Target

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s been a little over a week since Jason Wu for Target became available, and I have to say when I took on the task of reviewing it, I was afraid I was going to be recounting stories similar to the now infamous Missoni debacle.  However, this time around I want to praise Target for trying to keep everything less chaotic.  While there were still some instances of eBay sellers purchasing way more clothes than should ever be allowed, I think Target really tried to enforce rules that benefited the fashion lovers not the profit mongers.  So, because you can find about a 1,000 reviews online, I wanted to do things a little differently and talk about the four life lessons I learned by shopping on opening day for Jason Wu for Target.

1.  Have a Game Plan
The night before the collection came out I went through the look book online and picked four pieces I decided I needed to have in my wardrobe (I know, the things I do for journalism).  I think this step is crucial for any shopping trip, because it helps you utilize your time efficiently.  Also, by focusing on just a few items you want, it helps people like me who start drooling over clothes to not go crazy and stick to a plan.  I ended up picking the navy floral-print top and skirt, the white dress with the black bicycle-tire print and the Milu cat T-shirt.  When I got to Target that morning, I went straight for the four pieces I wanted, snagged them in sizes as close to what I was looking for, and then browsed the rest of the collection.  As a side note, almost all of the clothes were just as cute in person as they were online.  My only disappointment was the black and pink lacey skirt, which I thought didn’t look as rich as it did in photos but was still a really nice piece.

2.  Get There Early
This step I could definitely improve on a little.  While I arrived at the Gainesville Target at 8:30 a.m., which is a feat in itself because I am not a morning person, there were more dedicated shoppers than myself who lined up before the store even opened.  I ran in to a former teacher while browsing the clothes, and she said she got to the store at 8:10 a.m. and all the accessories were already gone.  So, I guess the saying is true, the early bird gets the worm, or in this case, the Jason Wu for Target purses.  Even by the time I had arrived, a lot of the sizes were starting to get picked over.  For future designer collaborations, I suggest getting there as early as possible, because the eBay sellers will get there early and scoop up that shirt you wanted and then you’ll feel defeated when you see it online for twice or three times the price.

3.  Network
I know, you’re thinking there’s no way networking has anything to do with getting that Milu T-shirt, but trust me, if you get to a designer collaboration opening early, talk to people in line.  The girl standing next to you could be your partner in crime or your new best friend because clearly you two are interested in similar things to be camping out for clothes.  Plus, having friends at a designer collaboration sale is beneficial because if she grabs a size that doesn’t fit her, she can hand it off to you and vice versa.  While I did give evil stares to two girl friends who hoarded a ton of the collection to try on sizes, I have to say that I admired their team effort even if they possibly were the reason I got an iffy size in one of my purchases.

4.  Be Proactive
So, picture this, you’re standing in front of a rack and that dress you’ve been imagining yourself in for two months is only left in a size that you will never fit in unless you either lose 10 pounds or gain 10 pounds, what do you do?  Do you shrug your shoulders and leave?  No!  Do you stand there hoping a sales lady will bring some more sizes?  No!  You either find the sales lady who is bringing clothes back from the dressing rooms en route, or better yet, you go to the dressing rooms yourself.  This is the best way to score the sizes and the clothes you want at one of these sales.  If you stand around waiting with all the other novice shoppers, you probably won’t get what you want.  The dressing room is a best kept secret.  So, head back there and look through the discards because odds are, if you follow lesson two and get there early, the item you want is hanging on a rack just waiting to go home with you.  Now, just a word of warning, being proactive doesn’t mean turning into the much-loathed shopping villain.  Keep calm and shop on, you’ll have an easier time finding what you want with a solid head on your shoulders.