Lessons I’ve Learned as a Former Ballerina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Ballet was a huge part of my childhood. I practically devoted all of my childhood and half of my time in high school to the art before I eventually (like most stressed teenagers) quit from burnout. I loved it not only for the creative outlet it gave me, but also because it taught me so many important lessons that I continue to use to this day.

1. The importance of posture.

True story: I was at a water park a couple years back when a mother and her daughter came up to me and asked if I did ballet. When I told her yes and asked how she knew, she said it was because of my posture; turns out, her daughter was taking ballet classes and recognized the way I held myself. Good carriage, as I learned in ballet class, translates very well from the classroom to outside the studio.

2. Dedication is tough, but worth it.

Sticking to a schedule that demands six or even seven days out of the week at the dance studio can be incredibly hard, but ultimately, it’s very fulfilling. Seeing your improvement over the course of several months will make every class you almost didn’t attend worth the struggle.

3. When all else goes wrong –  smile!

Sometimes, life is just about faking it until you make it. Forget a step on stage? Smile. Slip on stage? Get up and look unbothered. When other people see that you don’t let something minor affect you, it won’t be a big deal and the show will go on.

4. Presentation is key.

Like many other ballet studios, mine had a dress code. Black leotards, pink tights and pink ballet slippers were a must, and hair had to be up in a bun. Following guidelines and making sure I looked presentable from a young age has helped me maintain a polished look to this day.

5. Punctuality can make or break you.

Being on time, especially for show days, is an absolute must. You learn very quickly that even as an individual your attendance matters and your lack of it shows. It is your responsibility to adhere to the posted schedule and communicate with someone should something come up. Not doing so will inconvenience everyone involved and only make you look irresponsible.

6. The stages of makeup application.

When you’re old enough to be left alone backstage, you’re basically old enough to do your makeup by yourself. This means from about sixth grade onward, you learn about the complexities (and most often times, failures) of putting on eye shadow, blush and lipstick all on your own. I still have photos from middle school where I look like a clown because I didn’t know how to blend my makeup, and I put on way too much. (Ballet teacher voice: “If you put too little on, you’ll look washed out from the stage lights!”)

7. Strength comes in physical, emotional and mental forms.

You need to have the mental fortitude to remember your steps in time with the music in addition to persevering through any pain or weakness you’re experiencing. Pushing through will help give you the stamina and endurance you need for show days when there is no break.

8. Your worst enemy can sometimes be yourself.

Even looking in the mirror would be difficult on days when I didn’t feel my best. I would beat myself up about not being able to turn as much as certain girls, or not jumping as high as I wanted. I learned however that I couldn’t pity myself, and I instilled in my mind that off-days were completely normal. It’s okay to be human!

9. Never, ever give up.

There were so many times I remember myself coming home crying due to not getting the part I wanted in a production, but that made my desire to improve even stronger. Eventually, my hard work paid off and I had the chance to do several lead roles.

10. Practice makes perfect.

First, let me say that this is a true statement. You won’t learn to get better at anything unless you keep repeating and refining what it is you’re trying to accomplish. However, when you sacrifice your health on the quest for perfection, then it becomes unsustainable and deteriorating.

Overall, ballet helped prepare me for more than just entertaining an audience on show days. My passion for the art is still incredibly strong, and I pride myself on how hard I worked to achieve my level of accomplishment. Though I may not practice ballet as much as I used to, I can at least still apply all the incredibly insightful life lessons it taught me.

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.