I Wrote Three Things I like About Myself Every Day, & Here’s What I Learned

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Telling yourself that you’re a good person may not seem like a big deal, but actually, it just may be. I read in a self-esteem handbook that one way to boost your self-esteem is to, every day, write three things about yourself that you wouldn’t change. I decided to give this a try since some days, I don’t feel good enough or loved enough. I decided to give myself some self-love.

I started doing this a week ago. This was a great way to cope when many people were talking about their GPAs, internships and their other accomplishments, and I felt like I wasn’t good enough.

Some things I wrote about myself throughout this past week were that I wouldn’t change my kind attitude towards people, my organizational skills and my passion for math. Writing these things down actually led me to think a little deeper about these qualities in myself and appreciate myself as a person; not in a narcissistic way, but in a way that reaffirmed that yes, I am a person that matters, and I shouldn’t stress about not being good enough.

I continued to do this for the next few days, writing different qualities about myself each day. Every day, I realized I felt more positive and better about myself. I found that writing these qualities and reflecting about yourself is a good way to boost your self-esteem. I noticed an improvement in my emotions. I felt like I was smiling more throughout the day. I also felt like my interactions with people throughout the day were friendlier.

There are many ways to practice self-care, such as indulging in products, but writing three things about yourself every day for as long as you wish is definitely a nice way to admire yourself and realize that you are a special person.

I will continue to do this when I am feeling down or depressed. It is an effective way to keep your mood in check and realize that you are a special person.

I also realized that I felt more confident in my classes. I felt like I was focusing better in school. Setting aside time to reflect on my best qualities made me feel better as a person, especially if there were things going on in my life that I felt were lowering my self-esteem, such as not getting accepted into an organization that I wanted to be a part of.

Reflecting on your strengths is one way to realize you’re a special person. Between stressing for classes and maintaining good grades, it is a great way to realize that those factors do not define you. I’ve come a long way from realizing that my grades do not define me after a few rough semesters at UF where my grades weren’t as high as they could have been.

Just taking five minutes — or even less — out of your day for a little self-reflection can go a long way.

Niharika graduated from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and a minor in Mathematics. She wrote for Her Campus UFL during her time at UF. She also wrote for Her Campus Leeds when she spent her junior year abroad at the University of Leeds in Leeds, England. She tried drinking tea when in England but is still a coffee person at heart. As a Colorado native, Niharika loves hiking, skiing, and mountain biking. In her spare time, she likes to explore her creativity through photography and drawing.