bamboo toilet paper
bamboo toilet paper
Desiree Anello
Life > Experiences

I Tried Repurpose’s Bamboo Toilet Paper & This is How it Went

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

The current state of our world calls for serious change when it comes to sustainability. While it may be hard to realize that we each play a part in preserving our beautiful planet, small actions can make a huge difference. Repurpose is a brand that focuses on creating plant-based and more sustainable single-use products. I have tested out their bamboo toilet paper and paper towels and fully intend on making the switch long-term. 

Repurpose Co-Founder & CEO, Lauren Gropper

Lauren Gropper, Repurpose’s co-founder and CEO, started her career in sustainable design. She found herself in the film industry and was disheartened by the number of single-use plastics she saw constantly being used and disposed of. She saw an opportunity to build a brand that tackles this issue and began to investigate creating plant-based products that are cleaner and more sustainable. 

“Why are we digging fossil fuels out of the ground to make the product that we use for five minutes forever in the earth?” Gropper said. 

Why Bamboo Toilet Paper?

When I think of single-use products, and how they relate to waste and the environment, toilet paper does not immediately come to mind. However, the production of traditional toilet paper and paper towels is nowhere near sustainable. The process involves the cutting down of thousands of trees. Gropper said turning to bamboo as an alternative is extremely beneficial because bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants. The bamboo toilet paper sold by Repurpose is free of toxins, hypoallergenic and septic safe. 

bamboo toilet paper
Desiree Anello

My Experience with Bamboo Toilet Paper

When I received my bamboo toilet paper and paper towels, the first thing I noticed was the adorable packaging. The toilet paper said “reduce your carbon buttprint,” and the paper towels said, “reduce your carbon handprint.” It then stated that these products were 100% bamboo, made from renewable materials, sustainably sourced, tree-free and mess-approved. As I replaced my traditional products with these bamboo products, I appreciated how good it felt to know my personal choice takes a step toward sustainability. The toilet paper and the paper towels were both fantastic and worked as well as the traditional products that I would buy in the past. The switch to bamboo products did not cause me any inconvenience, and I did not feel like I was trading quality for sustainability. Such a small and seemingly insignificant change can create a ripple and contribute to a shift toward a more sustainable society. Personally, I will be sure to take these baby steps to reduce my waste and support brands like Repurpose that actively work to promote sustainability. 

How to Live Sustainably

I have heard many people use the excuse that there is no point in making small changes as an individual when there are corporations that make no effort at all. 

“It shouldn’t fall only on us, but we do have a lot of power,” Gropper said. 

We as consumers, and as a society, have purchasing power. Stores will stock what people are willing to purchase. If we begin to take simple actions and replace traditional products with more sustainable products, it will not be long before stores cater to these trends and provide more sustainable options. 

Gropper faced many obstacles on her journey to start her company. The public tends to hold sustainable brands under a magnifying glass. While this is a good measure that keeps brands accountable, it added more complexity to the process. Gropper’s response to this is that when things get harder, it means you must work harder. 

The way I see it, any individual on this planet has the power to identify an area in which sustainable efforts can be made and find solutions and alternatives to tackle them. If no one takes initiative nor implements change, nothing will improve. Our planet is rapidly heading toward disaster, and it is time for us to think about our future and the quality of life that we are leaving for future generations. Small changes are the first step, and I am so happy to have found some sustainable alternatives to single-use wastes that I could easily incorporate into my life. 

Desiree Anello is a second-year public relations major at the University of Florida. She is passionate about photography, videography and embracing all things creative. She hopes to enter the entertainment industry where she can bring positivity and joy to the lives of others. When she is not creating, you can often find her at a coffee shop, at a thrift store, listening to Harry Styles, or at Walt Disney World.