I (Attempted) to Only Text in GIFs and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Seeing as GIFs are extraordinarily popular online, I decided that it would be hilarious to attempt to communicate only through GIFs to my friends and family and see what happened. I downloaded the GIF keyboard app in the hopes of making iMessage a little more exciting. Truthfully, I expected more questioning from my friends and family, but I guess my antics are never deemed unusual at this point. Here’s what went down.

When I sent this, I was eagerly awaiting my mom’s return from the store. I was feeling a little bit hangry, and I was pleased to see she responded well to the GIFs.

My dad told a story of a waving bear he and my mom (Deborah) saw once instead of inquiring further about the waving bear GIF I sent. I later explained to him what GIFs are and what my true intentions were with the GIF.

Mom wanted more information. I hope that one day I’ll teach her how to use the GIF keyboard, and we’ll communicate primarily through images of Disney characters and Harry Styles, two of my favorite things in life.

Admittedly, I was bored. I browsed through the keyboard searching what I deemed interesting, and for whatever reason, it was a man dancing on a treadmill. My friend Demi seemed to think nothing odd of this exchange.  

In a group text, GIFs are often appropriate for most conversations. They add a little spice that words don’t always allow. And also, if you haven’t gathered by now, my friends and I are pretty into Harry Styles.

My brother gave the best response I could’ve asked for. I texted him one afternoon, curious about how my plan would pan out. The “hug me brotha” GIF from Drake and Josh made me laugh and was most fitting. Sibling telepathy is definitely a thing.

Overall, I can say this was a pretty entertaining experience and would recommend trying it out. However, if you’re anything like me, your friends probably won’t think anything is out of the blue.

Photo credit: nyulocal.com