Culture > Digital

How is the TikTok Community Dealing With its Possible Ban? 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

How are you dealing with TikTok’s possible ban? 

In recent months, the possibility of a ban on TikTok has been a topic of concern for millions of its users. As a result, many individuals are wondering how the TikTok community is dealing with this possible ban.

Over the past couple of years, TikTok has become one of the most popular social media platforms in recent years, with over 1 billion active users worldwide. However, data privacy and security concerns have led to discussions about a potential ban on TikTok in several countries, including the United States.

In 2023, the United States Supreme Court heard a case involving Shou Zi Chew, the CEO of TikTok’s parent company, ByteDance. The case centered around the potential ban of TikTok in the United States, which had been a topic of discussion for several years.

The case arose when the United States government sought to ban TikTok due to concerns about data privacy and national security. The government argued that TikTok’s Chinese ownership posed a threat to American users’ data and that the app could be used for espionage by the Chinese government. In response, TikTok argued that the ban was unconstitutional and violated the First Amendment’s right to freedom of expression.

Shou Zi Chew was called to testify before the Supreme Court, where he argued that a ban on TikTok would harm American users and violate their constitutional rights. Chew emphasized TikTok’s commitment to data privacy and security, stating that the app stores user data in the United States and that it is subject to American laws and regulations.

During the hearing, the Supreme Court justices asked Chew about TikTok’s data privacy practices and relationship with the Chinese government. Chew responded by stating that TikTok operates independently of the Chinese government and that it has no access to user data.

The TikTok community is not taking the possibility of a ban lightly. Many TikTok creators have taken to the app to express their concerns and share their feelings about the potential ban. In addition, some creators have used their platforms to encourage their followers to take action by signing petitions, contacting their elected officials and sharing their thoughts on social media.

Additionally, many TikTok creators have emphasized the potential unconstitutionality of a TikTok ban. Some have argued that a ban on TikTok would violate the First Amendment’s right to freedom of expression. 

Users are doxing the Supreme Court while actively romanticizing Chew on TikTok through several video excerpts.  

Some have pointed out that a ban on TikTok could disproportionately affect marginalized communities who have found a voice and a platform on the app.

TikTok creators are using their creativity and humor to highlight the absurdity of banning an app that has become an important source of entertainment and connection for millions of people.

For example, many creators have created videos with the hashtag #SaveTikTok, where they share their thoughts and feelings about the app’s potential ban. Others have created videos that use TikTok’s unique features to express their concerns in a creative and entertaining way.

Moreover, many TikTok creators are using their content to encourage their followers to take action against the ban. They are sharing information on how to sign petitions, contact elected officials, and use their voices to make a difference.

Overall, the TikTok community is actively taking steps to address the possibility of a ban. By creating content that reflects their feelings about it and emphasizing the potential unconstitutionality of a TikTok ban, they are making their voices heard and encouraging others to do the same. 

Whether or not a ban on TikTok will ultimately occur remains to be seen, but one thing is clear: the TikTok community is not going down without a fight.

The potential ban on TikTok is not just about an app but about the right to free speech and expression in the digital age. By using TikTok to amplify their voices, the community is fighting for their rights and ensuring their voices are heard.

I am a second-year English and Political Science major at UF. I hope to inspire readers by writing and providing useful information. I love to read fiction and write about current events.