How to Handle Being Back in Your Hometown During Coronavirus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

In college, you’re free to set your own schedule.

Classes, meals, socialization: They’re all your choice to ignore at your leisure.

That is, until 2020 reared its ugly head and higher powers in the state department (thanks, DeSantis) ordered all university students to go home.

Now you’re an adult trying to readjust to the law set by your ma and pa – okay that rhyme was pushing it. 

Living with your parents in high school was hard enough.

Seeing boys required stealthily sneaking past blaring past alarms systems and nosy dogs that barked at any disruption to their nightly routine.

Going to Chick-fil-A for lunch was not an option, as it did not promote a healthy lifestyle (or something like that, right, Mom?).

Facetiming your best friends past 9:30 p.m. was absolutely outlawed considering your dad had to get up early for morning and you were being “disrespectful to the man who puts food on the table and the car keys in your hand.”

That was miserable, and back then you were 16 and had no idea what freedom and 3 a.m. Chomp It could mean. 

Going home to quarantine means a sudden change in power.

Your parents still think of you as the little girl who likes horses and doesn’t know how to do her own laundry.

It’s hard for them to understand how much you’ve grown up.

In order to fit your parent’s expectations, you have to regress to that high school mindset.

Inversely, your parents could start treating you like an adult, but we both know that that won’t be happening.

Here are some ways to make your transition back to domesticity as easy as possible. 

1. Try not to refer to Gainesville as home

If you want to avoid your mom crying, please do not refer to Gainesville as home – even if you really think it is.

While being back with your parents, make sure that they think that you’re having the time of your life.

Compliment their food – tell them how much you’ve missed it. Complain about your roommates. Compare the ease of being home with the stress of college. They love that.

2. Take time for yourself

Take breaks.

Spend some time by yourself.

Watch Netflix, listen to music, read a book — just find something relaxing to do alone.

It can be jarring to go from spending all of your time on your own to being quarantined with 2+ people all of the time.

When you’re quarantined, you can’t release steam so easily, so it’s for the best that you spend time by yourself instead of getting heated and starting arguments. 

3. Don’t talk politics with your parents

This one doesn’t require much context. If you’re from a rural area with southern parents, you understand this. No comment.

4. Find a hobby to do with your family

This is kind of corny, but it’s so nice to find some kind of bonding time with your parents.

Solve puzzles with your grandma, bake with your dad, woodwork with your mom, etc.

Find a hobby that a loved one enjoys and spend some time with them doing it.

It will mean the world to them, and you might develop a skill you can use later.

5. DON’T GO OUTSIDE

Just don’t. Please.

6. Enjoy your time

It might be stressful to be back home, especially if you don’t have the best relationship with your family, but be strong and just take this time to focus on yourself.

This is a moment in which you don’t have the stress of getting to class on time, finding food and keeping up with clubs.

Take this time to improve yourself and look out for others by staying in one place and quarantining. You are a hero.