This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Mornings never used to be my thing. I didn’t understand how people could enjoy having to get out of bed (AKA: a warm and cozy cocoon), which just left me feeling groggy and cranky. I had been a self-proclaimed night owl my entire life, but at some point during my first year in college, I suddenly changed and became a morning person. I never saw it coming, but my entire outlook on mornings changed as a result of following these ten tips. Here’s how to become a morning person.

1. Make a “To Do” list

Making a list of things you have to get done the next day will not only get all of your priorities straight, but it will also create a piece of physical evidence that you have things to do the next day. In the morning, this list will both keep you accountable and motivate you to get things done right when you wake up so you don’t have a long list of things to do weighing you down throughout the rest of the day.

2. Go to bed early

Try going to bed an hour or two earlier than you are used to. Even if you don’t actually fall asleep until later, getting in bed and closing your eyes will signal your brain that it is time to sleep. The more frequently you do this, the more your body will grow accustomed to it, and soon it will become natural. As a result, you will get more sleep and feel more refreshed the next morning.

3. Create a morning playlist

One of my favorite parts about mornings is turning on peaceful music and starting my day slowly and calmly. I have a playlist that I play every morning while making coffee and getting ready. This sets the tone for the morning and the rest of the day, leaving me feeling stress-free.

4. Have a routine and stick to it

I have a routine that I do every morning when I wake up, and by repeating this routine every morning, I am assured that no matter what happens the rest of the day, at least I had a great morning. My routine consists of the basic morning things, like brushing your teeth, but it also consists of the following items on this list.

5. Make your bed

This is so simple, but it makes a world of difference. By making your bed, you feel like you have accomplished something, even though the day just started. It serves as a catalyst for getting other things done instead of laying in bed.

6. Wash your face

Again, this is something very easy to do, but it can ultimately make you feel much better in the morning. Washing your face is like washing away all the dirt from the day before, both literally and metaphorically. It will leave you feeling fresh and ready to take on a new day.

7. Write down what you are grateful for

Probably the highlight of my morning is taking a minute to write down a few things that I am grateful for, whether it be people, events or even things like trees and sunshine. By doing this, I am reminded of the many blessings I have in my life.

8. Get your body moving

I always try to incorporate some sort of workout into my morning routine, whether it be a simple walk or running to the gym. I often find that my mood throughout the rest of the day is much better overall after working out in the morning.

9. Eat a nutritious breakfast

If you eat a donut for breakfast, you most likely aren’t going to have any energy, plus it’s going to make you feel sluggish and dull for the rest of the morning. Instead, try making oatmeal and topping it with fresh fruit or making a green smoothie and adding chia seeds. These breakfasts will energize you for the rest of the day and keep you feeling full until lunch.

10. Meditate

This step is key. Before leaving my house for the day, I always take about five minutes to close my eyes and meditate. During meditation, I clear my mind of any negative energy and try to focus on the positive things I wrote down earlier. Once I’m done, I feel full of energy and ready to take on the day.

Since becoming a morning person, I feel less stressed and have more energy overall simply from making a few simple lifestyle adjustments. Mornings are now my favorite time of the day, and I would recommend these tips to anyone looking to make their mornings better.

Photo credit:

rd.com