How to Beat the Heat of Gainesville Nightlife

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

What’s not to love about the beginning of Fall? More importantly, what’s not to love about Fall semester at UF? Football games, new faces, people watching at Library West and your long-awaited reunion with Pizza By the Slice all add up to make this semester one every student dreams of. However, one thing you learn quickly is that even though Summer Break is over, Gainesville temperatures still feel like they’re at an all time high. Nonetheless, you’ve waited far too long to let Gainesville humidity come between your reunion with Midtown. I’m here to assist you with a few guidelines to surviving the blazing heat of Gainesville nightlife so you have at least one acceptable Instagram photo survive.

1. When you’re living in a swamp, there is no such thing as a subtle dewy glow — just sweat, buckets and buckets of sweat. Spoiler alert: Your favorite frat house isn’t air-conditioned. There is no way of avoiding your natural bodily functions, but there are methods for managing them. If you can, avoid using powder makeup, because it can cake when you sweat. Instead, opt for cream-based blushes and foundations that resist sweat longer.

2. If you have naturally straight, silky hair that remains in place no matter the temperature, count your blessings right now. However, if you’re like me and have frizz that, as Miley Cyrus would say, “can’t be tamed,” I have some tricks of the trade to share with you. The No. 1 rule in the game is to go with your hair’s natural texture. The hour you spend straightening your natural curls isn’t worth the five seconds of straight hair you’ll have before stepping outside. Instead, embrace your natural hair type with smoothing hair creams or serums to fight frizz, and then use a lot of hairspray.

3. The last, most crucial tip is how to pack your bag. Though trendy and cute, clutches and satchels don’t leave a lot of room, so I suggest sticking to the basics: bobby pins (you can never have too many), blotting paper or tissues for any type of sweaty mishap and lip balm. Nothing ruins a picture like chapped lips.

Fall semester is an experience no frizzy hair or sweat stains could possibly ruin. However, these tips can hopefully assist you in keeping your appearance together long enough to persuade a handsome stranger to buy you Pita Pit at the end of the night.

Photo credits: 
www.gainesvilleconnect.com
www.cultofpretty.com
www.expatliving.sg
www.global.rakuten.com

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.