Hit the Trails: How to Start Running

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

These days it seems like they’re everywhere.

Pounding up the different hills around campus with sweat on their brow, gracefully dodging groups of students on their way to class, even taking to the streets in packs late into the night.

It’s hard to ignore the amount of runners seen on campus on our way to classes or even at night when the temperatures dip into the 30s. That’s when you begin to wonder: runners seem so dedicated and fit, could I ever do that?

Of course! Even if you haven’t braved a mile since high school gym class, success in running can be achieved through practice and dedication.

Running is supposed to be simple — just you, a solid pair of kicks and the earth beneath your feet. So we’ve made this beginner’s guideline to running simple too.

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions from beginning runners to help guide you on your way to the perfect stride based on tips from Women’s Health:

How do I get started?
The most common mistake beginning runners make is trying to go too fast too soon, so take it slow. Start walking for a length of time that feels comfortable — anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Once you can walk for 30 minutes easily, sprinkle 1- to 2-minute running sessions into your walking. As time goes on, make the running sessions longer, until you’re running for 30 minutes straight.
Training tip: To fuel up for your workout, have a piece of fruit or an energy bar about two hours before you lace up your shoes. An hour later, drink 8 ounces of water.

What’s the difference between running on the treadmill and running outdoors?
A treadmill “pulls” the ground underneath your feet, and you don’t face any wind resistance, both of which make running somewhat easier. Many treadmills are padded, making them a good option if you’re carrying a few extra pounds or are injury-prone and want to decrease impact. To better simulate the effort of outdoor running, you can always set your treadmill at a 1-percent incline.

Do I have to wear running shoes? What’s up with all the barefoot runners?
Running shoes are highly recommended when it comes to finding a shoe that will limit the possibility for injuries and are designed to help your foot strike the ground in a safe manner. If you happen to catch a glimpse of someone running barefoot on campus and wonder why on earth they would choose to run sans cushion and support, blame it on science.  Serious runners have discovered that running barefoot can improve the efficiency of their run by. Others argue that running barefoot helps them to sense problems in their stride and experience a more fulfilling run. While I wouldn’t suggest starting off barefoot, if you want to eventually give it a try check out Vibram FiveFingers Barefoot Sports Shoes to help give your feet protection with the same benefits of running barefoot.

Should I breathe out of my nose or my mouth?
Both. It’s normal to breathe out of both your nose and your mouth while running. Just find a balance that works for you. If you find developing a normal breathing pattern to be difficult while running, try taking up yoga classes. Classes like Hatha yoga will work on controlling your breathing while also providing a good stretch on your break days.
Another trick: keep your mouth slightly open and relax your jaw muscles.

Is it normal to feel pain while running?
It’s normal to feel some discomfort as you add distance and intensity to your training. But real pain, like sharp pains in your calves or heel, is not something to ignore. If some part of your body is causing you enough pain to make you run with a limp or otherwise alter your stride, you have a problem. Try walking for a minute or two to see if the pain subsides. If it doesn’t get any better after walking, stop immediately and take a few days off to allow for full recovery.

What can I do to prevent side stitches?
Side stitches are a common problem for beginners and usually result from the abdomen being jostled while running, causing cramping. Don’t worry if you get one: they usually stop occurring once your level of fitness improves. When you get a stitch, breathe deeply, concentrating on pushing all of the air out of your abdomen. This will stretch out your diaphragm muscle (just below your lungs), which is usually where a cramp occurs. Another trick: don’t eat any solid foods in the hour before you run.

Is there anything I can be doing in the gym to help improve my running?
It’s always important to work on stretching and flexibility to avoid injuries and to help your muscles recover from runs. Try signing up for some yoga or Pilates classes to build core strength, an essential part of running with good form. Strength training is also beneficial, just make sure you aren’t spending more time lifting weights than focusing on cardio if you want to avoid burning out from that intense leg workout.