Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS
Style

Harry Styles’ Love on Tour: The New New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

December 30, 2019, was the best day of my life. As I lit the eighth candle on my family’s menorah, I had no expectations for the last gift of Hanukkah. Nonetheless, my mom exceeded all hopes with tickets to see Harry Styles. Yeah. Nothing in life could go wrong.

This mindset certainly did not age well. It was the tragic ‘pandemic postponing concert’ story we all know and love. Now, over a year later, fans like myself are not taking this show for granted. In fact, they are going all out.

Harry Styles Love On Tour Fashion is an Instagram account dedicated to promoting the outfits fans have worn at each tour location. The page was started on September 4 and has grown to nearly 10,000 followers since.

This love for Love on Tour fashion does not stop there. On TikTok, Twitter and just about every social media platform, people share their wardrobes for the concert. Below, in no particular order, are some of my favorite looks.

Madison Bender’s Groovy Two-Piece Set

Take it from me, this patterned piece is sure to catch Styles’ eyes. At least, it caught mine.

Madison Bender, 20, is an English major at Temple University. “I feel like I got lucky,” Bender said. “I was looking for about a week before I decided on it. I found that set from Princess Polly online and decided that that was the one.”

Bender, who will be attending the Oct. 4 show at Madison Square Garden, shares her advice for those without an outfit: head over to social media.

“I searched Love on Tour outfits on TikTok and I also found [a] Facebook group for Love on Tour. I looked at other people’s outfits and took what I liked and rolled with it.”

Clare Halacy’s Watermelon Sugar Styled Top and Suit

Clare Halacy, 23, rocked her handmade watermelon mask at the Sept. 18 show in Washington.

“I took probably two full days to make the mask. I’m embarrassed by how much time I spent on it,” Halacy shared. “I procrastinated for a very long time. I think I bought everything on Labor Day which was like a week and a half before my concert date, and I wasn’t sure that everything was gonna get here on time.”

Halacy themselves admits that she is “not a fashion forward person,” yet this night required a lot more regard for wardrobe.

“This is the most attention I’ve paid towards an outfit before,” Halacy explained. “Seeing other people’s outfits gave me the confidence to be a lot more bold.”

Allyson Clayton’s Pink Pussy Bow Ensemble

Allyson Clayton, 26, styled this specific look for the Sept. 9 San Antonio show, but she will also be paying Styles a visit in Dallas, Milwaukee and the two Harryween tour dates.

“I was going for a mid to late 70s glam rock look, taking inspiration from The New York Dolls,” Clayton said. “The zebra print corset top and pants were from a small resale shop in Los Angeles called the Plus Bus, and the pussy bow top is from Eloquii.”

Clayton’s outfit is nothing less than spectacular. She credits her genius to Harry, but not the Harry that might come to mind.

“We have to give it up to Harry Lambert, Harry Styles’ stylist; he dresses Harry in the coolest things ever,” she said. “Especially for the 2018 tour, Harry pulled these amazing suits every single night. It gave everyone else the permission to dress how they wanted.”

Abby Dabal’s Cherry Cool Cami and Pants

Abby Dabal, 21, is a criminology major at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. Outside of student life, she is the owner of Coastal Kiwi, a brand that sells Harry Styles merchandise and more.

“My boyfriend and I are doing a matching thing. We’re going for a cherry theme,” Dabal said.

Though her tour date, Oct. 12 at Raleigh, is still coming up, Dabal recognizes that fans are going over the top with their looks.

“Harry has been so influential in the fashion world recently. It was Vogue where he wore the dress and that went viral. That definitely has a lot to do with it,” Dabal explained, referencing the Nov. 2020 Issue of  Vogue where Styles wore a dress.

“You’ll see a lot of fans mimicking things he’s worn in the past,” she said. Still, she maintains that comfort is a top concert priority.

Franki Rudensky’s Fringe Frenzy Suit

Franki Rudensky, 25, is a graduate English student at Villanova University.

With the black, leather top and the exact necklace Styles wore in the music video for his song “Golden,” Rudensky nailed this look.

“I knew he wore some fringe before, so I was trying to do something that would stand out but would also remind me of a mixture between Harry’s style and my own style,” Rudensky explained. “I browsed a few different sites and I knew that Nasty Gal had a lot of blazer sets, and they were having a sale, so it worked out.”

While mixing styles, Rudensky wanted to look good for the fashion icon himself.

“I was in the nosebleeds, but you never know, maybe he could spot some purple way up in the stands.”

Raeshel Kelly’s Totally Tubular Cutout and Skirt

Raeshel Kelly, 21, is a recent graduate from Pennsylvania State University and she has always been a Harry fan. “I started following One Direction when I was 13, so it’s been a long haul for me,” Kelly shared.

“I just tried to look for a cool top that I wouldn’t wear casually, more of a statement piece,” Kelly said. “I just wanted to wear something fun like everybody else was doing, which I wouldn’t have done if it weren’t for TikTok.”

At first, Kelly was unsure why so many people were getting all dolled up for the show.

“I think people are dressing up because Harry himself is very much a mecca for fashion and has been an inspiration for breaking barriers for fashion,” Kelly noted.

Emily Neubauer’s Haltered Heart Top and Pants

Emily Neubauer, 20, is a musical theatre major at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy.

“Whenever I think of Harry Styles, I think fashion,” Neubauer said, after explaining that they had seen the 2018 Live on Tour. “Ever since then, I was like I gotta look good.”

“I’m a bigger person so I wasn’t sure what was going to fit. I scoured Shein for days and I ended up buying $150 worth of clothes,” Neubauer shared.

“Harry has started a movement towards everybody wearing different things to concerts. I think that you should match the energy of the artist, and he’s just exuding that energy.”

Racheal Jones is a senior at the University of Florida studying Sociology. She's completed research on family violence and is currently working on a new research project. She loves Marvel movies, sapphic fantasy novels and Taylor Swift. Outside of school, she's learning how to roller skate, take care of her plants and rock climb.