Handbags: To Splurge or Not to Splurge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Chic designer bags are something us college fashionistas could look at all day. They are beautifully crafted and designed, and no matter which one we pick up, we can see them going with any outfit. Whether you see a designer bag in stores, on television or online, they always have some way of drawing in the viewer and making them think about actually purchasing the bag.

The purchase may be worth it if you know you’re going to use the bag for a long time and get a lot of wear out of it without causing any damage to it or if you don’t change handbags often. Maybe it’s the pictures or touch of the bag, or maybe it is just the ability to say you actually own a designer label, but is it really worth paying more than $300 for a bag? Is it worth it to splurge?
The alternative to the hefty price tag is the ever more affordable department store or retail chain that offers up similar designs, while not having to fork out the big bucks. Our favorite retail chains often have handbags that are inspired by designer labels and have them in many color options so you can buy more than one.

These affordable bags are perfect for school if you get a lot of wear and tear with carrying books or if you try to keep up with these trends and are constantly buying new bags. Of course, the disadvantage is the quality may not be as nice a designer bag, but put those good shopping skills to use and you’ll get one for a good deal!

So before you swipe that credit card, would you rather spend the big bucks on one bag or put the money toward multiple bags (and maybe a whole outfit too)? If you know you’re going to use the bag religiously, then I definitely see how buying a designer handbag can be worth the money and a good investment. On the other hand, the inexpensive, affordable options do provide you with the ability to buy more or save more.

Karina Cuevas is currently enrolled as a freshman at the University of Florida, Class of 2014, as a Journalism and Political Science double-major and a German and Business Administration double-minor. Born in New York, she moved to Orlando, Florida with her family 6 years ago and is now residing in Gainesville, Florida, thus experiencing life in both urban and rural areas. When she isn't watching E!, obsessing over Gossip Girl, working part-time at Hollister, singing along to Taylor Swift's songs, shopping, or baking, Karina enjoys journaling, taking photos around campus, and spending time with her friends and family. Because she's interested in fashion, music and journalism, after college Karina hopes to move back to New York City and land a job at a prominent magazine. (Because magazines aren't dead.) ♥