A Girl’s Guide to Fantasy Football

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Wondering why football player statistics are all your guy friends can talk about when each Sunday gameday rolls around? It all has to do with the return of Fantasy Football. With the confusing point systems and vocabulary, the guys in your life may seem like they’re speaking in a different language as they discuss upcoming matchups, passing percentages and how well the new rookie they picked up will play against a certain defensive line. Don’t let Fantasy Football sound like advanced calculus; it’s actually pretty simple to understand the rules and player statistics. Follow our quick guide to the world of fantasy football and you’ll be caught up on the craze taking over boy’s minds everywhere.

So, what is fantasy football?

Before the NFL season started, people joined a league with friends, family or complete strangers and drafted real NFL players. Teams consist of offensive players and defensive players. Each week, based on their team, fantasy players set up a lineup — keeping in mind which of their players are playing in real games, any injuries that may affect their roster and bye weeks.
Once their lineups are set, they then sit back and watch the games, gaining points based on how their players play in the real NFL games.

The Rules

The rules can vary based on which site your friends are using for their league. They also may have set up their own league, where touchdowns, rushing and sacks count differently.
There are two types of leagues: head-to-head and point leagues.
If you are in a head-to-head league, who ever has the most points that week wins the game. For a point league, the amount of points you get for the game that week is added to the previous weeks’ total points.
NFL-managed leagues use head-to-head scoring. This scoring system is based on offense, kicking and defense.
To see how the NFL point system works, visit http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/help/nfl-scoringsettings.

The Lingo

The jargon for fantasy football is what can really make it sound as confusing as advanced calculus.
Is your friend talking about how his player is a breakout, bust or sleeper? Confused by depth charts and injury reserves? Get caught up with the language of the game here, http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/help/fantasyglossary.
Terms such as handcuff might sound strange, but really it just means that you drafted the backup for one of your prominent players.
What is a waiver hawk? It is when players wait until the early mornings to make roster moves.
An ADP? That is an average draft position. Still confused? An ADP lists the average round in which a player is typically chosen during a fantasy football draft.

Once you get past all the rules, jargon and competition, remember to have fun while you’re learning the ins and outs of the game. Pay attention to how players fare this season so you’ll be ready to pick a winning team next season and maybe even beat some of the boys.