Get Fit on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Now that Spring Fever is settling in across campus and the sunshine’s warm temperatures are finally here to stay, it’s time to take your workout to the great outdoors. Escape the crowded and monotonous gyms for a campus-inspired health fix that will have you looking at campus like you’ve never seen it before.

The University of Florida is chock full of fitness opportunities and with summer just a few weeks away, what better time than now to check out some new exercise spots?

Stadium Workouts
For a workout that will have you channeling the athletic prowess of the Gator football team, try stadiums, the ultimate challenge of outdoor workouts on campus.

If this is your first time trying stadiums, remember to take it easy the first few times. You don’t want to be racing down a flight of stairs feeling like you’re about to fall over or collapse. After you feel comfortable with the movements you can increase your speed and add more stairs to climb.

For this and all outdoor workouts, it is best to start out either in the morning or afternoon before the sun is at its strongest to avoid heat exhaustion, and don’t forget sunscreen and a water bottle.

Once you master the basics, add pushups, crunches or a favorite plyometric drill at the end of each stadium set to get even more from this challenging workout.

Stadium Workout:?- warm up, 2 laps light jogging around main level of the stadium?- 4 x 50 yard sprints (jog into this and pick up speed every 5 yards) rest 1 min.?- *5 x stadiums (walk every step and walk down, rest 45sec) * 30 steps ?- 5 x stadiums (walk every other step and walk down, rest 45 sec)?- 10 x stadiums (run every step up and walk down, rest 45 sec)?- 10 x stadiums (run every other step up and walk down, rest 45 sec)?- cool down, 2 laps at a light jog and stretch
*One set is equal to 30 steps, so 5 x means 5 sets of 30 steps, etc. Once you feel ready for more, try to increase the number of steps you run each time you workout.

Yoga by the Lake
If there’s one spot of campus sure to be calming enough for your inner yogi, it’s Lake Alice. With lots of shady trees, flat open spaces to spread a mat and of course the great water view, the setting is perfect for performing a literal sun salutation and connecting with nature.

Your location will determine the mood of your practice, so choose a low-traffic spot where you feel comfortable and relaxed. Smooth, soft surfaces are idle, so stay off the concrete and opt for a comfy patch of grass.
Not feeling too stable in your headstand? To help even out outdoor surfaces, invest in a thicker mat that will offer a more stable surface.

If you aren’t keen on practicing your downward dog pose in public, strength training can also be easily taken to the great outdoors. Perform sets of pushups, squats and lunges on the paths near the lake to switch up the scenery from the whitewash walls of the gym.

Running and Bike Paths
Get off that stationary bike or treadmill and take your workout to the streets. You’ll find fresh air, stimulating scenery and a sense of accomplishment when you can brag to your friends about how you ran all the way to a local landmark.

Sites like www.run.com offer dozens of local running routes that can also be used for bike enthusiasts.

Florida Pools
Swimming is an effective alternative to running and other land exercises for days when the heat is just too intense to hit the pavement. Kicking workouts, water aerobics, pool running or a regular swimming workout can all give you a great exercise session without the weight of your body pounding you with each move.

If an injury is preventing you from placing too much weight on a knee or ankle, the pool is a great place to exercise that will let you keep your heart rate up but not cause too much impact stress on your body. Laps logged in the pool will help you to work on strength, cardiovascular health and endurance as well as burn major calories without really breaking a sweat.

UF  has two locations for you to power through laps like Olympian and former Gator, Ryan Lochte. The Florida Pool is an outdoor facility located behind the Student Recreational and Fitness Center offering to swim laps and plenty of lounge chairs to help you work on your tan whenever you feel like taking a break.

If you prefer indoor swimming, The O’Connell Center Pool is located between Gates 2 and 3 on the lower level of the Stephen C. O’Connell Center.