Gearing Up For Gainesville Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Gainesville Fashion Week is bigger than it’s ever been, and it’s about to take the Swamp by storm.

The extravaganza is a 4-day-long series of events focusing on fashion, art, music and culture in Gainesville. Each year, the event showcases local and national designers, boutiques and salons while providing exposure for businesses and vendors.

The festivities will be April 6-10 at Sharab, Villa East, Jolie Events, Villa East and Cafe C. Since GFW premiered locally in March 2009, all parties, art exhibitions and runway shows have taken place at Sharab, a bar, hookah lounge and dance club. But with the 30-percent increase in attendants, organizers were forced to search for a venue with a larger capacity.

Besides a new location, the New Year has brought GFW to host their first annual Gala for the Arts, a black-tie event benefiting Rocket for the Arts.  As part of the GFW lineup, the gala is a black-tie fundraising event featuring a premium silent auction featuring original pieces of art from artists showcased at Wednesday’s event, an exclusive showcase by designer Jacqueline Brooks and the first annual RFTA youth art competition and exhibit, dinner and dancing.

GFW stylishly introduces RFTA, a nonprofit organization centered on creating quality youth programs in Alachua County. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Rocket for the Arts.

GFW’s goal is to be an all-inclusive art and culture event in Gainesville, showcasing the arts community revolving around runway shoes.

For more information, visit Gainesville Fashion Week’s official site here
.

Karina Cuevas is currently enrolled as a freshman at the University of Florida, Class of 2014, as a Journalism and Political Science double-major and a German and Business Administration double-minor. Born in New York, she moved to Orlando, Florida with her family 6 years ago and is now residing in Gainesville, Florida, thus experiencing life in both urban and rural areas. When she isn't watching E!, obsessing over Gossip Girl, working part-time at Hollister, singing along to Taylor Swift's songs, shopping, or baking, Karina enjoys journaling, taking photos around campus, and spending time with her friends and family. Because she's interested in fashion, music and journalism, after college Karina hopes to move back to New York City and land a job at a prominent magazine. (Because magazines aren't dead.) ♥