Gator Glam: Decoding the Dress Code

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Here’s the scenario: You’ve just been invited to a party, interview or big event, and somewhere on the invitation, it mentions a dress code. But what exactly is business formal anyway? Here’s a quick and simple breakdown of some of the most common dress codes you may face in the future:

1. Dressy casual This is just a small step up from your usual everyday outfit. If it isn’t specified, you might be able to get away with a nice pair of jeans topped off with a nice blouse. To stay on the safe side, I would suggest no jeans at all, and instead, opt for a skirt or dress pants.

2. Business casual Occasions that want to stay away from being too casual, yet still within a comfortable dress code, will call for business casual. For this, you can choose between a skirt, dress or pants with an interesting top. Make sure if you choose to wear a skirt or dress that the hemline doesn’t go up any higher than a couple of inches above the knee. Jeans or sneakers are a big no-no. A pair of heels or flats will do just fine. If you feel like your outfit is getting a little boring, don’t be afraid to add an eye-catching accessory to spice things up.

3. Business formal This is a dressier version of the business casual and has a little less freedom. You definitely don’t want to show too much skin for this. A dark colored pantsuit or tailored dress with a blazer is the way to go. For shoes, you’ll more than likely want to wear heels, but make sure to keep them no higher than three inches. Trust me, your feet will thank you. Jewelry and other accessories should be simple and kept to a minimum as well.

4. Festive You’ll usually spot this dress code around the holidays, making it the most fun to get ready for. This is the time to reach in the back of your closet to pull out that sparkly, sequin dress you’ve been waiting forever to have an excuse to wear. The festive dress code offers you the most room for creativity, so take advantage of it!

5. Cocktail Cocktail is another fun, yet not too formal kind of dress code. The name gives it all away. Wear a knee-length dress, or if you’re uncomfortable with that for whatever reason, you can also wear dress pants or a skirt and top. If you have absolutely nothing to wear for this, your handy LBD will do you no wrong.

Now you’re ready to look your best for any occasion that comes your way! Keep looking stylish, collegiettes™!