Gator Glam: Cosmetic Companies that Don’t Test on Animals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Many people decide to become vegetarians or refuse to purchase fur clothing in an effort to minimize the negative effects due to animal testing. However, it can be difficult to think about animal cruelty when it comes to makeup and the innocent animals harmed. Let’s face it: We tend to forget about the cruelty that goes into making our favorite eye shadow when we are getting ready for a night out at Midtown.

Even so, it used to seem like there wasn’t much we could do to stop animal testing. For a long time, I had the impression that boycotting bad cosmetic companies meant boycotting the beauty industry altogether. Recently, however, I realized that there must be an alternative.

I went on the PETA website and found an extensive list of brands that are both popular and affordable for us collegiettes™ and pledge against testing their products on animals. Here are 10 that you can find at any local Target or Ulta:

• Aveda
  • Bare Escentuals
  • Burt’s Bees
  • e.l.f. cosmetics
  • Paul Mitchell
  • Physicians Formula
  • tarte cosmetics
  • Too Faced
  • Urban Decay
  • Wet n Wild

I also found that China has a law requiring companies to test on animals before allowing the sale of any makeup products, but fortunately, the U.S. has no such law. This allows the brands above to choose from thousands of ingredients that are already proven to be safe without any additional testing.

So, if you’re ever at the store and can’t decide which bronzer to buy, check out the full list of kind companies on the PETA website, and see if there is a cruelty-free brand available. Without donating any money or time, you can easily support a good cause and save the lives of innocent bunnies! 

Hi, my name is Kelli Eichorn. This spring I am a fourth year Telecommunications major, specializing in Media and Society and minoring in Anthropology. I love reading and writing, and have a strong passion for both print and broadcast journalism, as well as social media and it's influence on society. My dream is to one day write for a major fashion magazine. This is my fourth semester being involved with Her Campus and I am so excited to be serving as a blogger for GatorGlam! GatorGlam is a blog about beauty, makeup, and skin care for the "Florida" girl. Some of my favorite things include spending time with my sorority sisters, going to the beach, naps, animals, and listening to music.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.