neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Gator Glam: Beauty Tips for Every Gator Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Living with Florida weather means us collegiettes™ have grown accustomed to a certain way of life. We’ve dealt with more rain than we thought possible and have spent the other half of our time lying by the pool, perfecting that sun-kissed glow (minus the few weeks it’s actually cold). But, how do we do it?  What are the unique beauty tricks we learn as freshman? There are many tips we take for granted here in the Sunshine State, but I’ve rounded up some to remember for keeping that face flawless no matter in all kinds of weather…

1. Invest in waterproof mascara. Whatever situation you may be in, waterproof mascara has got your back (and your face). Whether you are sweaty from a long summer day on campus, still wet from a dip in the pool, or caught in a downpour coming home from class, the last thing you need is your makeup dripping down your face. Keep a stick in your purse, and you’ll be glad you did.

2. Apply sunscreen. This is probably the most obvious tip, but applying sunscreen in the morning before your makeup is crucial to protecting your skin from drying out or burning throughout the day. Try to find oil-free sunscreens to prevent any breakouts.

3. Use blotting paper. If you’re going to be out in the sun for a long period of time, keeping a pack of oil absorbing sheets nearby can help when your face starts to look shiny. Applying more powder over the shine can just make your face look cakey. Fortunately, blotting papers are easy to dab on and can be found in any local drugstore. 

4. Wear a hat or sunglasses. If you’ve skipped the sunscreen regime or feel that it’s too heavy for your face, you can always protect your skin and dress up an outfit with a hat or sunglasses. But, if you’re going to be in the sun all day, beware of the raccoon eyes that sunglasses can give your face. A cute, floppy beach hat or a stylish fedora can complete a look while benefitting your face!

5. Hydrate your hair. Overexposure to the sun and other pollutants can dry out your hair, leaving it brittle and not at all like the beach waves you see on Pinterest. And the few weeks Gainesville has winter-like temperatures? Not so good for your long locks either. Make sure to deep condition your hair, let it dry naturally and use natural moisturizers like coconut or jojoba oil.

These are just a few of the many beauty “tricks of the trade” necessary to survive living in Gainesville. Stay beautiful!

Hi, my name is Kelli Eichorn. This spring I am a fourth year Telecommunications major, specializing in Media and Society and minoring in Anthropology. I love reading and writing, and have a strong passion for both print and broadcast journalism, as well as social media and it's influence on society. My dream is to one day write for a major fashion magazine. This is my fourth semester being involved with Her Campus and I am so excited to be serving as a blogger for GatorGlam! GatorGlam is a blog about beauty, makeup, and skin care for the "Florida" girl. Some of my favorite things include spending time with my sorority sisters, going to the beach, naps, animals, and listening to music.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.